Existing Member?

Smith Travels

Birthdays and Giraffes

USA | Wednesday, 11 March 2015 | Views [218] | Comments [1]

Birthday safari drive at Ithala Game Reserve.

Birthday safari drive at Ithala Game Reserve.

On Tuesday we do a 4 hour drive to the Ithala Game Reserve.  Denise wanted to wake on her birthday the next day to the sounds of animals.  This Government reserve was incredible.  Very different than our last safari location.  Built into a hill, these were chalets with kitchens and living rooms etc.  I even had bars in the bathrom .  We were met right away by Monkeys and lots of bird sounds.  Dinner was in the lodge after a beautiful sunset.  The thing was how few people there were there.  The dining room would hold over 100, but there were 7 of us there.  Great service!

The next morning we woke at 5:30 am, the main bummer part of a safari drive that leaves at 6am.  We met our driver and turned out we were the only ones this morning.  Happy Birthday!  We saw some beautiful birds and our friends giraffes, zebras, Kudu, Impala, wildebeest and more.  Back at the lodge for breakfast, the staff made a special muffin for me and presented it to me with sparkling wine and a lively rendition of Happy Birthday.  John knows how to make a birthday special!

Packed up one more time for our trip to Ermelo preparing for our last full day here.

 

Comments

1

Happy birthday Denise! All the animals in the reserve are jumping up and down for you frolicking to the sound of birthday calls for you now and in the future…

  Tim & Helen Mar 13, 2015 7:52 AM

About smithtravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.