Existing Member?

Smith Travels

Durban pass through

USA | Saturday, 7 March 2015 | Views [239]

The beachfront promenade in Durban.  People, including us, at play.

The beachfront promenade in Durban. People, including us, at play.

We explored a few more places in Drakensburg, buying some weavings of the area.  We had a long conversation with the owner of a rug weaving shop.  Incredible rugs being made by local women.  He wanted to engage in a discussion of his impressions of US citizens (some don't know where South Africa is) to sharing his thoughts on challenges still being experienced in South Africa after apartied.  A wonderful sharing.

We drive down the highway to Durban, with the goal of passing through and going up the coast.  Amazing how quickly the terrain changes as we approach the coast.  The sun is out.  We head to the beachfront promenade in Durban.  A great play spot for the town on a Saturday afternoon.  Bikes, skateboards, Indian Ocean swimmers.  We see the high rises in the background and lots of people at play.  A beautiful aquarium, or so we are told, is the main attraction along with beach restaurants.  We do a nice walk and then have dinner overlooking the beachfront.  We strike up a long conversation with the owner as he felt self conscious of the lack of access.  Fun conversation.  

We we head out to find a spot north of town and land at the Salt Rock Resort for the end of the night.  Beautiful moon rise over the beach, sound of crashing waves, nice way to end the day.

 

About smithtravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.