Existing Member?

Smith Travels

The next chapter...safari!

USA | Sunday, 1 March 2015 | Views [274]

Vivian and Greg from San Diego were our safari buddies.  Bryan was the tracker in the front.

Vivian and Greg from San Diego were our safari buddies. Bryan was the tracker in the front.

The safari trip was so incredible we can't even start to tell all.  We arrived Sunday afternoon to be picked up by Doctor (his name) and driven to Kapama Southern Camp.  It was a very luxurious resort surrounded by acres of a private preserve.  We were met with cool towels because of the heat and the first of many incredible meals.  After a brief rest, our two guides took us out on the first of 6, 3 to 4 hour drives looking for animals. Our safari buddies were Greg and Vivian from San Diego, who became fast friends and playmates.

After the drive, we went back for a late dinner.  They would wake us between 4:45 and 5 am, we'd have tea and coffee before our morning 3 hour drive that started at 6am.  Back for breakfast, some time for other activities, lunch, short break and afternoon tea before the evening drive.  We did this schedule for three days.  To say we were weary at the end was an understatement! But what an experience!

We ended the time seeing all of the Big 5, elephant, buffalo, lion, rhino except for the leopard.  Incredible nature moments...a male lion with his warthog kill protecting it from his two females and their 6 Cubs.  Young rhinos play fighting together.  Scenes of groups of animals like giraffes, zebra and Impalas all eating together.  We followed three young male lions for nearly an hour as they stalked a buffalo, only to fail to succeed.  We saw a mother giraffe protect her baby that was less than a day old.  We were so close to a family of nearly 10 elephants we could have touched them.  And those are just some highlights.

We have put just a few of the hundreds of pictures from these great 4 days in the gallery.  We left our new friends at the Johannesburg airport looking forward to sharing photos and future comminications.  

Internet access continues to be intermittent so we'll do our next entry when we can.  Next stop, Drakensburg Mountains south of Johannesburg.  

 

About smithtravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.