Existing Member?

Uganda

A quiet week in Kigali

RWANDA | Sunday, 14 April 2013 | Views [462]

view from balcony

view from balcony

So this week we have mainly been doing this.....

 

the week of no electricity

This week has been genocide memorial week in Rwanda so has been a very quite week for us and has coincided with no power almost every evening this week so we have been spening alot of our time as above in the evenings. The mood here has been a bit sombre as you can imagine and we have spent quite a bit of time in our new flat.

Sunday was the main memorial day and was market by a procession form the presidential palace to the stadium outside of our house. Our flat mate was invited to attend and so went along to the service but we decided to stay home for the day. The rest of the week has been only half days in the office so we have spent quite a bit of time at home reading in the afternoons and watching films when the power has allowed! and we were a bit naughty and decided to spend an afternoon by the pool as the weather has still been good.

Today  we went to a craft market and bought a few bits and bobs of toursit rubbish and then went to a film screening of 3 films about the genocide which was a bit eye opening for me. 

Tomorrow the official memorial week is over so we will be going out with some friends who are leaving next week for dinner and drinks and next week we will be out and about on field tips and hope to get to Nyungwe forest for the weekend.

Lots of love

Helen

 

Hey there, as Helen says it's been a bit quiet this week but has given us a chance to catch up on some sleep and settle into our life here. It's a nice clean, quiet city and we now know our area quite well (a newly developed, modern area around the national stadium andthe airport called Remera), we have been into the centre a few times and are out of town again next week as we visit the areas to the East.

We have also been planing the next part of our trip starting in May, we will be leaving Rwanda and heading East into Tanzania, visiting Serengeti and the Ngorogoro Crater before hitting Dar es Salaam and deciding then where to go next. Maybe investigate southern Tanzania or cross the borders South into Malawi, Mozambique or Zambia (or we may just stay by the beach!).

We are just back from watching some thought provoking movies on the genocide, has been a somber week and was good for us to see what people are thinking about the geocide after 19 years. Some sad moments but also some hopeful ones.

Anyway, enough from me, we have a couple of weeks work left to do and then things get interesting again,

Lov to all

Simon

 

 

Travel Answers about Rwanda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.