Existing Member?

Uganda

Goodbye Uganda, Hello Rwanda

RWANDA | Thursday, 28 March 2013 | Views [641] | Comments [4]

Last night inBwindi

Last night inBwindi

Okay,

So when we last sent a blog we were in Uganda and now we are in Rwanda! Its a long story but I will try to not make it boring.

Half of our time in Uganda was to be spent in Bwindi Forest and the other half in Entebbe (just next to the capital Kampala). CTPH had not managed to find me (Simon) any work to do there and we were starting to get more than slightly pissed off with them (for multiple reasons that we can tell you about in person).

We got the oportunity to seek our fortune in Kigali (Rwanda) and decided to take it!

 

Our last week in Bwindi was great, we had enough time to finish up our work there, I finished off my nutrition survey and gave 4 teaching sessions  on nutrition and hygeine to various local groups including the local youth organisation and the empowered womens group (Ride 4 a women).

 

We had a big party on the last night and will be sad not to see our local friends Joseph, Solomon, Aggrey and Alex as well as Denis, Eveleyne and Jessica. They were a great bunch and we will miss them.

We are now sitting in a hotel room in Kigali, hoping to move into a nice appartment next week just next to the Italian retaurant in the picture. I managed to get 2 jobs today, one working for an environmental group also involved in supporting the pygmie population and the other a group working with ophans and widows from the gencide in 1994. Shoul be fun and involve som trips into the countryside.

Anyway, thats enough from me, over to Helen..........

We are very excited to be in Rwanda after a fatastic couple of months in Uganda.We were not so excited about the prospect of continuing work for CTPH(as Simon says we can tell you all about it when we get home) and living in Entebbe which is lovely but very sleepy and quiet with not much to do and so jumped at the chnace for a second adventure in Rwanda.

I am now working for REDO (rural and Environmental Develpment Organisation) who work in conservation educating the local Batwa, doing tree planting and other local schemes. My main job is going to be working with their beekeeping collectives to help them make this in to a sustainable business! Knowing nothing about business or bees this is going o be a fun new experience for me an I hope I can actually do something useful....! Today I have been learning all about beekeeping and next week I will be travelling to the Volcanoes National Park to meet some of the bee keepers.

 

First impressions of Kigali are good, it is a very clean city, seems well organised and a bit more together than Uganda but its only day 3 so we will see. The rains have started here so not much sun for a while, may decide to chase the sun down to southern africa after this as we get enought rain in conrwall!

Anyway we will be back to regular blogging now we are in a city again!

 

Hope all is well with everyone

 

Lots of love

 

Helen

 

 

Comments

1

Good luck in the new adventures xxx

  Kath Mar 28, 2013 6:51 AM

2

nice to read your news and good luck for the next part of your adventures! xx

  Jo Aning(Coyne!) Mar 28, 2013 8:23 AM

3

Jon's dad used to keep bees so I'll ask his advice! Great to hear your news and hope this part if your adventure goes well x

  Jed Mar 29, 2013 6:25 AM

4

Enjoy, my little Africa hopping friends! Remember, bees can smell your fear Helen.... x

  Abby Apr 2, 2013 5:55 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Rwanda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.