Existing Member?

Uganda

Pemba and Zanzibar

TANZANIA | Sunday, 2 June 2013 | Views [1461]

Hello again,

So we gave up our plan of crossing Tanzania by 48hr train, to get a crowded local bus for 6 hours and an extortionate taxi to relax on lake Tanganyika for 2 days and then cross into Malawi and Zambia before coming back by taxi/bus/train/camel/bicycle!

Instead, we decided to spend a month on the beach!

We started by taking the ferry across to Pemba island, a large island just north of Zanzibar. We found a nice place on the South of the island to relax. We took daily trips out to the sand bar and beaches, read books and were force fed lobster for 9 days. It was lovely, deserted and very peaceful. We took a trip to Masali island to snorkel on the coral reef and saw lots of fish similar to the Red Sea. 

We then spent 5 days in Stone Town in Zanzibar, a lovely quiet Arabic influenced town with a white sand beaches, narrow streets, tiny shops and bazaars. 

Then on to the East coast to Jambiani beach where we have been for a few days for beaching, swimming and walking amongst the palm trees. Its been quite nice (I'm trying to down play it to not cause jealousy). We are back in just under 3 weeks and despite the lovely surroundings we are both looking forwards to being home. 

We should have time for one last blog with some good pics. 

Love to all, Si xxx

hello

just a short one from me as Simon has already said what we have been up to. Been having a lovely time relaxing, playing in the sea and attempting to get a tan before we get home. simon however did not mention my highlight so far, I got to stroke a giant tortoise!!!! Never been so excited, I'm only sad I can't upload the  pic as we are writing this on my I phone and the pic is on my camera. Anyway they are amazing, nearly as big as me, live to over 200 years old, the one I got to play with was born last century, how cool is that! Anyway all vey exciting!!

We have another couple of weeks enjoying the sun now and hoping we can bring it home with us. i can't quite believe our trip is nearly over, it's been an amazing adventure, but thankfully still a bit more adventuring to be done...

 

hope all is well at home love Helen xxxxx

Ps. Never visit dar es salaam unless you have too, we were there for 4 days waiting for the boat, dirty shithole are the only words I can use to acurately describe the place

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.