Existing Member?

What do you mean THE walk

The walk

USA | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [94] | Scholarship Entry

With my sisters love for Georgia O'Keefe and my love of the phrase "lets do it" we ended up In Santa Fe New Mexico. The last few months of travelling in America had been unplanned apart from the date we landed in New York and the Date we left New York. Arriving on Christmas eve, Finding something to do around the festive season is always hard no matter where you seem to be. We checked into a roadside motel the receptionist was more than perplexed as to why there was 2 Irish siblings standing in-front of them this close to Christmas. After getting some bearings, something to eat that wasn't greyhound station food. We asked the waitress what she would be doing for christmas. She just replied "the walk" Both my sister and I always loved walks around christmas time. Got back to the motel and asked the receptionist the same thing she replied The walk. Another member of staff said the walk is a must do. Confused I asked What do you mean THE walk? The only response we got was at about 5.30pm go outside and follow anybody you will get there.
To any sane person this sounds like stalking. To natives of Santa Fe this is normal behaviour on Christmas Eve. As we walked further into the downtown area we started to see more and more people, then more and more little brown bags with candles inside. We started to realise every building, every house (adobe) was lined with these brown paper bags. We finally arrive at Canyon road. The scene was straight out of a christmas card. There was fire pits, people carolling, kids throwing snowballs. People drinking egg nog. As we walked this street with what seemed like every other person in Santa Fe, we felt so at home. We got talking to an owner of an art gallery and he had told us the walk is called The Farolito Walk, the brown paper bags where actually farolitos. The farolito walk was a much celebrated tradition in Santa Fe. With the amount of art galleries on canon road it was like walking through a giant museum, with a lot of merry adults and hyper children ready to throw a snowball.

In my mind New Mexico was always infamous with area 51 and alien sightings. Now and forever it will be known for Christmas stalking.

4 years later on christmas eve my sister and I both bring up "The Walk"

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About smartwentcrazy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.