Existing Member?

Sharing the World Shannon and Rob´s Europe Journal

Toledo, Spain

SPAIN | Tuesday, 20 December 2005 | Views [1418] | Comments [3]

We stopped in Toledo for a couple of nights on our way from Valencia to Sevilla.  Toledo, Spain is one of the oldest cities in the country and the entire city is a designated historical monument.  The city sits on the top of hill surrounded by a river on 3 sides.  Many of the walls and buildings in Toledo are hundreds of years old.  The hostel where we stayed was actually a castle built almost 1,000 years ago.

Getting to Toledo was a bit of an adventure.  From Valencia, we took a 4 hour bus ride to Madrid, then hiked a mile across town (carrying all of our stuff!) to get to another bus station, then it was another 1 hour bus ride to Toledo.  Once we arrived in Toledo, it was another hike, uphill (again, with all of our stuff) to the hostel we were staying. 

Once we got to the hostel, though, it was all worth it.  Besides being a really cool castle, the hostel was one of the cleanest and largest rooms we have stayed in, not to mention the cheapest.  When we woke up the next morning, we hiked into town to attend a Visigoth Mass at the Cathedral.  The Visigoth Mass in Toledo is one of the oldest Christian Masses still being practiced.  It wasn't too different than a modern Catholic Mass, though, but it was all in Spanish.  After Mass we decided that it was time to start wandering through the streets to see what the town was like.  Toledo was a great place to just get lost in (since the town is surrounded by a river you really can't wander too far), and we were able to see alot of the history of the city.  But one whole day in Toledo was enough to see most sites, and so the next day we got back on a bus to Sevilla.  While travelling around Spain was nice, it was time to start looking for our new home.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

HI!!! These photos are beautiful!! I can't wait to read more about your trip.. This is such a great idea to keep in touch! I love it.. I miss you both! XOXOXOX Denise

  Denise Jan 5, 2006 2:43 AM

2

Hey you guys-- Love the pics! What a beautiful country. That pic of the hostel really takes me back, Shannonator... :) Happy New Year!

  Sarah Reitz Jan 5, 2006 4:21 AM

3

Shannon, if you steal me one of those 'pick up doggie doo' signs, I'll love you forever. And I'll be your designated driver on kareoke nights. And to Indianapolis. Anything for that sign!! :) We miss you here! I'm trying to get a hedgehog for my classroom, cross your fingers!

  Lindsay Jan 10, 2006 6:19 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.