Existing Member?

Finding Friends in the Flood

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [91] | Scholarship Entry

Travelling from Quezon City to Pedro Gil in Manila is always ill-advised during a storm. But going against all good judgment, you might get to witness everyday miracles, experience first-hand manifestations of national traits, and meet unexpected new friends-even butt deep in flood water.
June 23rd, 2011, 6:30PM, I got off from work and got on a bus to my destination. It took the bus an hour to get to Espana Boulevard which is only actually a five minute drive away. It took another hour for me to gather my resolve to get off the bus and brave the flooded streets. Several passengers had already opted to wade.
When I decided to go, a girl from our bus asked if she could walk-or wade-with me. "The first step is always the hardest," she said, as we got into the murky flood waters, holding hands as we couldn't see the ground. We started for the narrow island in the middle of the street and walked to even higher ground.
Along the way, I saw how Filipinos showed the so-called bayanihan* spirit. At intersections, where the waters were highest, people helped the pedestrians along by guiding them by hand of by verbal instructions. I was surprised how willing they were to join the unfortunate walkers in the flooded streets to help navigate the dark waters-for free!
Upon reaching higher ground, the girl with me said she knew a place where we could freshen up a bit. The people there were so hospitable, even giving me a pair of slippers to change into! By then, it was 10PM. I just wanted to get to my destination (Pedro Gil St., Malate, Manila) and change into dry clothes! I had to take two more buses. All the way were wet and tired people who trudged and waded through the waters just to get home or to dryer ground.
I will be praying for those kind people whenever I remember them. That is, whenever it rains.
* Filipino term; refers to a spirit of communal unity or effort to achieve a particular goal (Wikipedia)

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About smallhands


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.