Existing Member?

IN BETWEEN JOBS BLOG

Tokyo and Kyoto, Japan

JAPAN | Saturday, 7 June 2008 | Views [792] | Comments [3]

Our first stop, Tokyo, Japan... Tokyo is a huge city, very similar to many 'western cities.' The metro was very complex but rather easy to navigate around. I did stop and point at maps a lot in order to get to our destinations. Tokyo is broken into several sub-sections. I particularly enjoyed Harajuku! It has great shopping, people watching, and was fun to walk around. Out hostel was in Asakusa, a great area of town.. known more for its "traditional tokyo" feel. One of the "must see temples" is in this area and it was easy to get on the metro from here.

We took the speed train to Kyoto, it was a little more expensive than we planned, but definitely worth it. I LOVED Kyoto... it offered a more traditional Japanese culture. We stayed at a guesthouse, with bamboo mats and a prerequisite shoe removal upon arrival. It was rainy the first day, but fortunately for us, most of the walkways in the shopping district were covered. We ate fried rice and sprouts for dinner. That night we went on a walking tour and spotted a few Geisha-

The next day, we explored the temples.. the Silver Temple was undergoing repairs, but the grounds (with bonsai trees, lilly ponds, and zen gardens) were definitely worth the trek up to it.  The Golden Temple was amazing, it was packed with tourists from all walks of life. We walked down the 4km, Walk of Philosophy, a small path along the river, in search of a golden buddah. We never found the Buddah, but the walk was nice. Kyoto is still a big city but we were able to escape into the green country with a 10 min bus ride. We took busses throughout the town, it was cheap and a great way to see the city..

Overall the culture of Japan is very orderly and spiritual. I enjoyed the peace and quiet (I can say this in retrospect after being in Thailand for a few days.) The food was yummy too... We ate a lot of Soba Noodles and drank green tea.

Next destination, Bangkok, Thailand.. (6 hour flight)

Comments

1

shayna i miss you and i BETTER get to see you in thailand! it'll be worth it. we can go find a starbucks together and then jump off of a cliff.

  Jennifer Jun 9, 2008 2:58 PM

2

Wow...you are totally in another world! It sounds so amazing...especially as I'm sitting in a conference room on a sales call...

HAVE FUN!

  Emily Jun 10, 2008 1:13 AM

3

Your trip sounds so exciting and it is wonderful hearing from you. We missed you at the Birthday bash weekend. Continue having a great trip. Keep lots of notes. We were at your Dad's last Sunday for a cookout. The Jeff Slosman's were there Marvin, Rachel and Sandy, Sherry, Tonie and Sidney.I was in Green sboro over the weekend. Came home late this afternoon.Did you know that Abby and Nate are engaged. He gave her a ring on his birthday May 19th. Needless to say, we are all very excited about it. Love you. Look forward to more about your trip.

  Bryna Jun 10, 2008 12:49 PM

About slosman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.