Existing Member?

Time to go Walkabout

The Arrival

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 8 July 2009 | Views [147]

What a start to our holiday, after an 8 hour flight during which sleep seemed to elude me, we arrive in Kuala Lumpur to find out from a very friendly little old lady that the hostel which we had booked only a month ago had closed down FOUR months ago (Note to self, do NOT book through tripadvisor.com ever again)

Luckily in KL there are plenty of places to stay and after a little bit of wandering around and a consult of the trust LP we found a clean place to stay. A little hot and flustered, but safe. It goes without saying that a cold beer and dinner was next on our priority list! Which we found relativly easy but managed to get caught out in the rain so with another early morning ahead of us, we decided to call it a day.

The next day was a quick 2 hour flight to Kuching, arriving just in time for lunch ( have I mentioned I LOVE Malaysian food?) and our afternoon spent wandering around town and exploring. It seems everywhere we go we get asked if we are in town for the festival (World Rainforest Music Festival), I think the colour of our skin may give us away :)

Kuching waterfront is perhaps one of the most overrated things I have experienced, or maybe I just hyped it up to much. From what I had read it was supposed to be THE place to go for dinner with lots of food stalls set up along the river and I was expecting something very similar to Vientiene in Laos. There is no doubt that Kuching waterfront is a very beautiful place, complete with Fairy lights and views of the city glowing over the river, but the eating experience was very underwhelming.

So far I find Kuching to be a city much like any other, although far more laid back. It seems as though most things of note occur around the city and I am looking forward to our longhouse stay.

Tags: kuching

About skye_mac


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.