Existing Member?

Out of it bro!

2nd week in Trindad

CUBA | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [810]

So it's Monday and this week has gone very quickly. It's been a blur of Ron, early morning pizza, and new friends and experiences. That Tuesday evening, we met with a Swedish man by the name of Torsten that mike had befriended the night before.  He's 48, single, unmarried, no kids and is traveling by himself. Al though he seems like alcoholic, he enjoys a good laugh, doesn't mind being the but of a  joke and enjoys dancing when he's drunk. He's an unlikely (mis) match to our duo, but he doesnt seem to mind and neither do we. He eyes me up suspiciously when I say I'm not Cuban. After he sees my passport, he flashes a big smile and it's off to las Cueva. After a bottle of Ron and several beers the lights come on and it's time to head off to the Cuban equivalent of McDonalds/kebab shop, which goes by the name el Rapido. Here you can get any sandwich, pizza or mini sub as long as it queso y jamón (ham and cheese) and without any veggies. They also stock a large range of snacks, lollies, smokes, and beer. All your morning munchy needs under one roof. I chat a bit more with Torsten and he reveals that he travels often. Hell work for a year, then bugger off where he feels like. He's travelled parts of Asia, a lot of Europe and now Cuba. He enjoys to do the foxtrot. He said he has a group of friends yyyhyhythat travel to other towns during the weekends, and do the foxtrot with the locals. The next day is spent hungover and sweating in the ever present heat. We had agreed to meet  b  y hyhythat night again, but I planned to feign sleeping in. But at 10:30pm they both turn up at mi casa. So off we go again. The night is another blur of Ron, staring at women and dancing drunkenly. Somewhere in the malaise we agree to go to the beach the following day. With e Rapido in our sights we stumble through the dark streets of Trinidad, with David Guetta blaring from my iPad. I've been carrying it around every night this week. It's been very handy for providing a sound track to our post la Cueva escapades and also as a point of interest with the locals as we sit and munch on pizza.
I sleep in the next day. Both mike and I miss the 11am bus that Torsten apparently made. So we hop the 2pm bus and during the ride mike chats with a group of Italian tourists, two obviously gay men and a woman. Mike gives them a quick tip about catching the return bus as we part ways and the rest of the day with me swimming and reading (very touristy, I know) while mike plays basketball on my iPad. We search the beach halfheartedly for Torsten but no luck. On the return bus, the Italian tourists chat some more with mike and they agree to meet us at Casa la Musica later on. 
As I make my way way through the crowd that evening I find Torsten, who doesn't seem the least bit angry that we missed the bus, so we pull up a table, mike arrives about 5mins later, then not long after him, the Italians. They look to be in their late 20s and traveling just as a threesome for 2 weeks around Cuba.  One of the guys is named Dario and the women is Agnes (the Italian translation sounds far sexier). I miss the other guys name, but he speaks fluent Swedish, so he and Torsten happily chat away. Dario speaks fluent English and Agnes not so much but being able to communicate in English with them is a welcome relief.  Can slowly see that Agnes and mike are getting on really well and when we hit la Cueva, mike starts to lay it on thick, whispering sweet Spanish nothing's in her ear and whipping her around the dance floor effortlessly. Torsten and his new friend have been contently chatting away the whole night, interspersed with the odd dance, while I've been happy to quietly observe mike, Dario and Agnes dancing, along with the usual posturing of the local crowd. It's a welcome distraction from my inner thoughts as I still struggle with everything that's going on. By the end of the night mike and Agnes are mouth to mouth, our Ron is empty and we are all starving. So we head to el Rapido with our new found friends in tow. Over pizza we decide to all go see the waterfall at Tropes de Collantes in the morning. During our feed one of the local police comes in and listens intently to the music coming from my ipad. I beckon him to sit down and i give him my headphones to listen with, his face lights up and he starts bobbing his head ever so slightly. I show him how to change the song and he listens for about 5mins then stands up. He goes to the counter and returns with two beers, one for home one for me. We cheers and he goes back to my iPad. I'm not sure if he was on duty but no one seemed to care. I've seen him around the town during the day and he always stops me and says hi. Anyway, with our pizza done, we all retire. Torsten just lives around the corner and the Italians are staying in the opposite direction so they head off.  As mike and I walk, he's floating on air, smiling as his favourite David Guetta song 'I gotta feeling' plays on my iPad. He dances as we walk, singing in espanol, it makes me really happy to see my new friend like this. 
Mike picks me up at 9:30am and we look for a taxi van to take us all to the mountain. Finding that most have probably gone to the beach, we find two taxis, and old 80's ford escort and a 70's Lada and pick up the rest of the troops. I have my little FM transmitter with me, so I can play my ipod or ipad music through any FM radio. We ask the driver to tune it in and his reaction is fantastic. He turns up his stereo as loud as he can, almost blowing the speakers. He seems proud to be playing music that isn't reggaeton or the usual pop that ever other cab is playing. So we cruise the streets, the driver smiling and us almost deaf. When we stop to get the others, I let the driver play with my iPad. He immediately asks to buy it. I laugh as I say not for sale and go and grab Torsten. With everyone assembled, we hit the road and wow, what a road!
It's kind of like driving up and down the last incline leading to Piha (west coast beach in Auckland for those who don't know) 5 or 6 times. But the road isnt well paved, there's pot holes everywhere and cattle roam the roadside. I don't find the drive that scary, the drivers have probably driven it 100s of times, and even though their cars seem to struggle with the hills I feel relatively safe. The drive takes about 30mins and we negotiate a time for them to return before they go back to town. The walk to the falls is 45mins, but as I did at Parque el Cubano, I turn up my iPod, tell my friends 'hasta pronto' and run ahead making the trip in about 25mins. I overtake surprised travelers , yelling gracias as I pass. The track is steep and would be vary dangerous if you werent sure footed. I find the fauna unremarkable, and ignore most of it as I focus on my goal, the waterfall. There's about 15 people there when I arrive, but most are sunbathing. I strip off and I'm in the water in the blink of an eye. It's cold, though not as cold as fresh water back home, and it's beautiful. After drinking bottled water and swimming in the ocean, this is heavenly. I'm in the water for a good 15mins before my friends arrive. They take their time and all but Torsten find the water almost unbearable. Mike has one dip and then stands in the sun for the next 15mins steeling himself for his next plunge, while the Italians prefer to dry off in the sun. I throw on my snorkle and explore the rock faces and very little nook and cranny. There's tadpoles  everywhere as before, but to my surprise I see a small school of fish, about 15cm in length. I take a deep breath and dive down, and even at 10m the bottom is still out of sight. Torsten and I stay in the water for most of the time, enjoying the cleansing feeling of fresh water, the rest preferring to work on their tans. After about 30mins, we dry off and mike leads us to another part of the waterfall further up above the waterhole. We round a corner and the water flows down from about a height of 50m, cascading gently down a gentle slope. Despite the warning signs, I drop my bag and begin to climb up as far as I can. I make my way up nimbly to the bemused stares of my crew. Reaching the top I find a small pool below a drop of 10m from the top of the water fall. A private spa I think ,as my shoes are off once again and Im in the water. I splash around for 5mins then a whistle from mike brings me back down as we prepare for our ascent. Now on my decent I hadn't really noticed the terrain. As we begin, the incline is about 65 degrees, and I thought it won't stay like this for long. 1.5km later I'm sweating like a pig, not a word has been spoken for over 20mins as everyone struggles for breath, and the shade of the trees is scarce. Instead of water I'm soaked in sweat, which covers my entire body in a thick film. Agnes leads the way as Torsten brings up the rear, trailing about 100m behind. He huffs and puffs, and now and again he mutters something like 'fuck this' in Swedish, which I replay in kind in English. In total with the descent taking me about 20mins, the return walk was about an hour, and most of it was at a 45 degree incline or more. The times about 3:30pm when we make it back to the taxi, we're all spent, and I cancel my plans to play ball with mike, but we all agree to meet at our local again that evening. Tonight we have a huge group of people, there's more Italians that our friends invited, also some French tourists, more Cubans and one Belgian. Most of the group was forgettable but the Belgian woman, Claire, was lovely and wonderfully flamboyant. She was probably in her mid 50s and had been on the road for about 2 months. She'd covered most of central America from Mexico down. She related stories to me about her 6 years living in Africa, and how she loved to dance Afrikaans. We all headed off to las Cueva, and we danced and drank and had a great time with all our new friends. The Italians were leaving in the morning, so mike was feeling a bit sad, and when it came time, he shed a couple of tears for Agnes. We swapped emails, said our farewells and went back to the bar to help drown mikes sorrows. The rest of the night went like clockwork, closing time, iPod music and walk to el Rapido, then console mike as we plodded home. Saturday was spent hungover and then a half hearted game of ball as we're both still feeling the effects. This was to be Torstens last night in Trinidad, but he had an early bus to catch, so he said he wouldn't drink much.  We left for las Cueva early as it would be busy. We had a bottle of ron in my bag to try and sneak in, which we d done every night previously, but they were checking bags tonight. As we approached the front of the line, I nervously tried to hide my bag. Mike whispered into the ear of one of the bouncers while the other searched. As he found the bottle he shook his head at the same time as the other bouncer said to go ahead, there was a split second stare off as their eyes met, then we were waved through. Before we headed down mike was called back to the bouncers. They asked for $2 tip as payment. Now Cuba has two currencies, the CUC and the Cuban peso. One CUC is worth 100 peso. The local population only really has pesos, and most services in town have two prices, one for tourists and one for locals. I'm not sure how the economics work as a whole, but as you can see 1 CUC can be worth a lot to the locals. So bottle in hand we were nice and early and secured a good table with a good view of the dance floor. Despite Torstens earlier statement, before long our bottle was finished and he was still there,  further reinforcing my suspicion that he was an alcoholic. We managed to leave before closing time for his sake, and after pizza gave Torsten a farewell hug as he stumbled back to his Casa. We didn't see him again, so I guess he made it (his bus was at 7am btw lol ). Sometime during the night I'd asked mike for some salsa lessons.
I was awoken the next day by the unmistakable sounds of pigs getting slaughtered.   At 2pm when mike picked me up i asked about it and he said that the butchers usually slaughter on sundays and to illustrate his point we passed a couple displaying their meat, from the rooter to the tooter. We headed back to his place, which I thought was close by. It turns out that he lives another 10mins walk from there  in what you would call the Cuban suburbs. Now, Casa Yolanda that i spent my first night in was majestic with its high arches and antiques, while Consuelo and Jorge's Casa was humble in comparison. Now mikes real house was even more humble in comparison to consuelos and jorges and reminded me of the islands. Bare plastered walls, sparsely decorated with old photos, there was a manual sewing machine in one corner, in another was their little Santaria shrine and the furniture consisted of four rocking chairs. Their entertainment system was by far the most interesting thing for me. There was a 10 year old 20 inch tv connected to 5 year old DVD player connected to the oldest amplifier I think I've seen in working order. It looked at least as old as me and it didn't have buttons, just big dials and switches,  which in turn was connected to what looked like the matching speakers because the leads going for the amp to the speakers were about as thick as jumper leads, but the sound that it put out was great, even if it was slightly distorted. I was the centre of attention as I walked in. They all gave me the same look that every Cuban I've met has given me, the 'if he's not Cuban, then I'm an alien' look. They talked loudly about  me, I think, then all stop and stared and waited for a response. When none came they giggled and gave me the 'well holy shit, he's not Cuban) look. This  carried on for a while as we waited for mikes female friend to come help with salsa. While we waited, I was offered a flat, cold beer. They called it cerveza agua, which roughly translates as water beer. I thought that this meant watered down beer, but it was pretty strong as I felt faintly tiddlely after about 3 glasses. The whole time we waited, mikes younger sisters were thrashing the same reggaeton hits that I'd endured everynight this week at las Cueva, at full volume. They just talked even louder, and even the elderly lady, who I think was mikes mum, seemed not to mind at all as she rocked away and sipped on her cerveza agua. Mikes friend arrived, the reggaeton was changed for salsa music and the lesson began. I always thought that I had decent rythm, but the salsa beat seems to evade my comprehension. There are some steps that I found easy while some that looked basic kept messing me up. I recoreded the lesson for posterity and will post it later. The lesson lasted about half an hour, after which I gave up due to embarrassment. We sat and drank, I let his little sisters listen to my iPad, and they even put on some of the latest top 40 hits that they had on DVD to make me feel comfortable. I wanted to tell them that I don't really like pop music but just sat and mouthed the words to songs from Beyonce, Jordin Sparks, Chris Brown and Pitbull, much to their amusement. I asked if I could get a photo, which they kindly obliged, then I said my goodbyes and headed home for an afternoon sleep. I met mike for one beer that night, but me body even protested to that, so I was back home and in bed by 11. 
So here I sit in mi Casa, it's about 1pm, I had a late breakfast, and have been typing away for the last 3 hours. Cordelia's due tomorrow at 4pm and I'm not sure what to expect. We've both promised to be relaxed about the whole situation and see where the next few days leads with all the talking thats expected. Before I pick her up there's the second leg of the champions league football between Barcelona and AC Milan playing at the international hotel. Tomorrow will be a great day I've decided. First a huge game of football, then the arvo and evening chatting and showing my baby around my temporarily adopted home. 
Just a few more observations from my people watching and interactions with locals and tourists. I've already touched on how locals think I'm Cuban. I've found that this is kind of double edged sword. It nice not to be bothered as I walk the streets, but when it comes to socializing, when I approach tourists and ask them if they speak English the usual reply is no. I've found it hard to find tourists from English speaking nations as most of the tour groups come from central or eastern Europe. So when I approach, they think 'oh no, not another bloody Cuban' and they either can't speak English or feign ignorance thinking that I'm another jinitero with a really good accent,because they never would have heard a kiwi accent before anyway. So I found that when I'm out I'm happy to play the quiet Cuban, even though I don't think one of those even exists. With everyone staying in such close quarters to their neighbours, it seems that personal space is almost non existent. Conversations are shouted across the street, and when face to face, they are just that, almost nose to nose. Everyone knows everyone's business, but no one cares. Front doors are always open, and you can see what your neighbours are doing, music is turned up loud so that the whole street knows what you're listening to. Ive found it

About sklaloua


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cuba

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.