Existing Member?

Worldwide Wanders 6 months in Asia, a year in Canada, the rest of my life....???????

007: Bond in Burma

MYANMAR | Friday, 14 December 2007 | Views [1046]

Yangon is not your everyday city. A place where $900 a night hotels, desolate colonial architecture and extreme poverty come together in an unusual form of mismatched harmony. A friend once described it to me as a place he’d love to come and explore but when devoid of people; perhaps after a plague had swept through. It would definitely make the perfect ghost town.

 

Despite all this excitement we were tired, coming to the tail end of a months travel in the golden land and on returning to the capital for a second time we were craving some western comforts. Having found, sceptically ordered and then enjoyed an unexpectedly fantastic cappuccino, we walked out and noticed that next door was what looked like some sort of cinema. Spotting a man dangling perilously from a rope several meters above us, our eyes were drawn to several magical words lettered in that old New York theatre type font: 007, James Bond. Peeking into the doorway we discovered a life-size cardboard cut-out of Daniel Anderson looking very suave in his tuxedo and omega watch. This unexpected site more than convinced us to explore a bit further.

 

With exaggerated hand gestures and actions, we established that the new flick was even shown in English. The price? An unbelievable US$0.80. We couldn’t buy them fast enough. In fact I wanted to buy 10 and just give them away, so ludicrous was the price, but I managed to restrain myself with some difficulty. After dawdling round for an hour or so, killing time by debating whether the ice-cream from the vender outside was safe to eat, it was time to go in, and grasping our news-print tickets off we went. The first surprise was the security check. Standard procedure for all movie buffs was a walk through the metal detector followed by a pat-down and bag search. OK, I know I’m not in Kansas anymore but considering that on international arrival from Bangkok we walked right through with none of the above made this seem rather surprising.

 

Following our 9-11ish like check we discovered our seats were on the ‘upper level’. This palatial abode was in fact the first class section, and we had been given front row seats. The theatre itself looked to date from colonial times, with a ground and second floor, ornate light fittings and even a red velvet curtain, waiting to part and deliver Bond upon us at any moment.

 

As far as we could see we were the only foreigners, apart from a greasy moustachioed Greek man and his two teenage sons behind us, funnily enough all dressed in matching skin-tight white pants. A blast of music distracted me from this paradox and suddenly the curtains began to open, and the locals all began to rise. As a gigantic Burmese flag spluttered onto the screen we realized it was in fact time for the national anthem. This presented a brief moral conundrum for us. The Burmese government is not something you generally want to show your allegiance to, and we were at a loss. I glanced back at the three fashionable fellows behind me, and discovered that they also seemed to be having a few difficulties. Finally, with a few shrugs and eyebrow raises we decided that the old saying ‘When in Rome…’ really did make sense and up we jumped just as the trumpets began blasting.

 

It was with great anticipation and a touch of apprehension that we sat down to await our fate. A blast of static soon revealed a selection of increasingly bizarre advertisements for some strange types of Indian potions, apparently to cure various ailments but with absolutely no hint as to exactly what. Little were we to know that these seemingly innocuous adverts would actually be the last time the local Burmese could understand what was happening until the movie finished two and a half hours later.

 

Bond appeared onto the screen to much applause, and the outrageously ludicrous scene set in an exotic locale that opens each 007 movie began rolling, this one set in Morocco. I remember at this point looking round and thinking that in fact the city I was now watching this movie in would make a perfect location for one of these openers and wondered if it had already been used in the franchise before. I then began debating what the market for James Bond screenwriters was currently like.

 

Snapping back to attention just in time to see the hero cause the equivalent damage of the Kosovo war in a mere five minutes, I began noticing something rather peculiar. The end of the action scene seemed to cue the entire movie theatre to form into small groups and begin chatting amongst themselves. The reason, as we figured out a few minutes later, was that the movie completely lacked any subtitles at all, let alone any understandable to the Burmese. This of course made the whole movie almost entirely incomprehensible to everyone except my partner and I, and those wearing the taut white pants behind us.

 

This peculiar phenomenon continued on throughout the movie, and made it almost impossible for us native speakers to make out what was going on as well. The cacophony was only broken up by the easily enjoyable action scenes and the very few sexual innuendos or intimate scenes that had made it past the obviously strict censors, but which the locals seemed to enjoy immensely nevertheless.

 

Eventually the end of the film arrived, and with the slow drawing of the curtains came the stumbling flicker of half dozen working lights. As we rose to leave I noticed a strange crunch on my first step. Looking down I could see that the entire floor in front of me was covered with some kind of seed husks. They hadn’t been there before, I was almost positive. On closer inspection they proved to be sunflower seeds, and we soon noticed a few locals still munching on bags of them - Burmese popcorn apparently. Looking over the edge of the balcony to the lower level, I beheld a sheer ocean of the things, an immense carpet of sunflower carcasses strewn everywhere. Never had it occurred to me that I would ever see such a collection of these together in one place, nor had I realized how bizarre it would actually be.

 

Leaving the theatre proved to be a complete contrast to entering, as we just walked out without the slightest interruption. However, when I noticed the guy still hanging from the roof outside and started taking a few photos of him we soon found out we were still very much in Burma. An official looking fellow popped out of nowhere and started flapping his arms about wildly, indicating at me to stop taking pictures. Having encountered this several times on our journey around the country we knew not to push our luck and strolled away quietly, already trying to digest the seemingly innocent experience of movie watching that had turned into a full blown cultural encounter. Myanmar is many things; beautiful, tranquil, harsh and frightening – but one thing it will never be is uninspiring.

Tags: Laughter

About skirmish


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.