Existing Member?

Suicidal Trap or Fun Box?

Fun Box

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 5 May 2015 | Views [216] | Scholarship Entry

Growing up in the scenic mountainous suburb of Hout Bay I had searched every cave and natural wonder I could access, a new opportunity came when I became a Lifeguard in the bay just over the hill, Llandudno. Llandudno, Cape Town is a surfing community with many hidden and mysterious wonders waiting to be uncovered. I saw the opportunity to start a new adventure, instead of searching the rocky mountains I was after the pure danger of the coast lines of South Africa.
While having fun in the waves of the freezing Atlantic Ocean, I noticed a spray of water coming from the boulders where the mountains met the untamed coastline.
This spray looked like what can only be described as a whale breaching the surface for air, but rather it was the force of the waves battering the rocky shoreline.
A proper investigation of this natural wonder was definitely required. My decision making skills were put to the test as being in the icy water for that long may have removed some brain cells. For future reference I don’t recommend hiking in a wet-suit.

Maneuvering my way over boulders, under dense vegetation and through narrow cracks in the mountain side barefoot and in a portable sauna is not ideal, especially under the African sun. Ground was being covered, but at donkey pace.
I had finally reached my desired destination, I made my way down the steep rocky decent with no caution at all. My feet forming blisters with every step from the heat radiating off the surface.
Watching the wave smash against the seaweed covered rock could only be described as a natural water slide. A toy from Mother Nature. Being an adolescent at the time it was expected to live a life of sex and danger. With that thought rushing through my mind, I too a leap of faith and threw myself into the washing machine of water.
Before I knew it the swell lifted me up and propelled me up the face of the rock and sucked me back out to sea again. Taking things to the next level by trying to body surf the wave, is something only a brainless idiot would do. So being a brainless idiot, I took things to the next level and rode the wave up and down the rock. What a rush.

Getting out was easy, all I needed was a lot of confidence to swim hard and a big wave would shoot me into one of the rock pools above. Some people might call this travel discovery a suicidal trap, but in my eyes it was a fun box.

The thrill of being so insignificant to the forces of nature made this experience one I’ll never forget.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About skipperbradley


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.