Existing Member?

From the Roof Of The World to the Sounds of the South

In And Amongst the Himalayas

NEPAL | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [163] | Scholarship Entry

One of the most important places I've unexpectedly found myself would have to be screaming into the wind at Annapurna base camp, 4100m above sea level. When I arrived in Nepal I knew that I was going to get to Everest base camp. It's the one thing almost everyone says when they arrive searching for adventure: "I'm going to make it to Everest base camp, if nothing else." I hadn't intended on committing to trekking any more than that, especially seeing how I was running very low on money and I had no equipment fit for snow. For whatever reasons (hint: they involved a lady), I decided to trek up to the Annapurna base camp. The trek up to the mountain was far more demanding and treacherous than I had anticipated. Beginning with an aptly-named 'never-ending stair' that continue for over 3500 steps, my companions and I relentlessly trudged up along mountain faces to reach our goal. We made our way across avalanches that had swept away our path right before our eyes and made own path up through waist-deep snow and blistering winds. Eventually reaching the base camp of the himalayas was one of the few times in my life where I was filled with nothing but the pure feeling of success and acomplishment. I felt proud to stand next to the ABC sign and without warning I let bellow a mighty YAWP, satisfying my urge to declare what a personal feat this was. Annapurna base camp was hit by a good snowstorm over the night and we awoke to a winter-wonderland. A thick blanket of white had covered the entire valley including our path from the day before, and we were officially separated from anything else in the world. The only people that existed were right there on the mountain standing next to me, playing in the terrifying winds and maniacally challenging the elements to do their worst. The sense of accomplishment we got from doing this trek without a guide only added to our euphoria. Never have I felt so alive before in my entire life when I was in and amongst the himalayas. Never have I felt so human, being with 7 strangers locked in a cabin on the roof of the world. Never have I been happier than I was in those moments that blissfully lasted an eternity.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About skgiese


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.