Existing Member?

Cambodia

Documentary Scholarship 2011 entry

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 16 June 2011 | Views [671] | Scholarship Entry

In 2006, After selling my 1980 Sunbird Torana, I gathered all my savings and travelled to Cambodia to stay in an orphanage and gather footage for the ‘SHE’ Rescue home. The SHE organisation rescues girls out of the flourishing sex slave industry in Cambodia and provides education, accommodation and stability for the girls and their families. I quickly learned, once over there, that I was unable to gather the appropriate footage. Firstly, being on my own was not ideal to walk into brothels or talk to government representatives, knowing all about how the sex slave industry works I was paralysed by fear and unable to follow relevant storylines into the dark alleyways. Instead I shot the footage that was around me, I was exposed to the many social, cultural and historical impacts on a war torn nation. The poverty and desperation was shocking. On this adventure I shot on a Canon XL -1S and learnt the vital necessity of pre production in documentary work. I am currently graduated and looking for work. This scholarship would further my experiences and hone my skills. I am passionate about the human story and quality television.

Tags: #2011Video, Travel Documentary Scholarship 2011

About skent


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.