Existing Member?

Una's Journey Journal

5 Things you Must Do in Jogjakarta

INDONESIA | Sunday, 4 September 2011 | Views [2921]

5 Things you Must Do in Jogjakarta

Actually I live in Jakarta. But since Jogjakarta is both of my parents’ hometown also I was born and lived there for 7 years, so I choose Jogjakarta. Very difficult to list only 5 things to do in Jogjakarta. Jogjakarta has a lot to do, to see, to explore. Just mention what is your interest in tourism, you love history, or nature, culture, or culinary, all you can find in my province.

 

Eat in Angkringan

Angkringan is traditional food stall and basically sell ‘nasi kucing’, means ‘cat rice’, rice which wrapped in paper and only sized like a cat food. Nasi kucing is popular in entire Jogjakarta. Besides nasi kucing, there are hot ginger milk, iced tea, coffee, and other drink. Nasi kucing usually about 1500 rupiah, or 20 cents bucks. Iced tea is about 1000 rupiah or 12 cents bucks. Very cheap, right?

 

Malioboro-Walking

Jogjakarta also popular with its Malioboro, a street that no more than 2 kilos. Originally Malioboro consists of Malioboro street and also Ahmad Yani street. In the sidewalk of Malioboro there are many souvenir sellers, like batik, Dagadu T-Shirt, and silver. You can bargain if you buy there. There is Pasar Beringharjo where you can find traditional and art things. In the corner of Malioboro

 

Hop In Andong or Becak

Andong and Becak are traditional transportations. While andong is horse-drawn carriage, becak is a kinda like tricycle but the driver is in the back. You can go around in Malioboro – Keraton by Becak, and yeah, you have to bargain.

 

Mystic Tour at South Alun-Alun

Alun-alun is a square. In Jogjakarta we have two alun-aluns. South and North. Keraton (the Palace) is heading to north alun-alun. So, the south alun-alun is like its ‘backyard’. There are two old and sacred banyantrees. If you can go through between the two trees with closed eyes, your wishes will come true. Although this is myth.

 

Get to Keraton and Museum Kereta Karaton

Jogjakarta is a kingdom. There are two kingdom, Keraton Jogjakarta and Keraton Pakualaman. But the first one is more popular. The palace are open for public, but only the front-side of palace. And there is also Museum Kereta Karaton or in English is Palace Carriage Museum. The museum exhibits all of the palace carriages. In certain date, the carriages are washed by the Abdi Dalem (Keraton Men).

Tags: #blogyourbackyard, jogjakarta

About sittirasuna

Me in Front of Boats

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.