Existing Member?

SIR360

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 22 March 2011 | Views [213] | Scholarship Entry

I would think that rarely a person would submit a piece of their travel while also having a major university interview. Much less when rejected by the university itself! Despite the “aftershocks”, my journey to Oxford was a blessing in disguise.

“I AM HERE!!!!!” I could finally shout out!

An hour bus ride from Heathrow was incredibly magical. It was my first time in the UK, and I daresay, the wait was worth it. I had heard so many stories of the UK winter being miserably cold, gloomy and grey. Sure, the weather was -3 degrees. However, the view of the meadows and the frost was stunning. When the bus reached Oxford, I was breathless by the Narnia-like environment. The soft snow beautified the historic buildings, making it seem more like an illusion then reality. I had to slap myself again and again! Everything seems surreal. Magdalen, New, Worchester and Keble whizzes past. When the bus stopped at George Street, my feet just wobbled on the pavements. Genuine ancient bricks! Oscar Wilde once stepped on it!

I was filled with euphoria while I checked into a hotel above a bar. A genuine English bar! Sight-seeing was definitely a must despite my jet lag. Everything was a “beautiful old” as envisioned. There was definitely something unique with the narrow street shops. Oxford was home to an abundant of bookstores. Not just the big Blackwell and Waterstones, but also quaint two pound per book bookstores. I went back to my room, with a shopping bag full of books, fearful that Emirates will reject my luggage next week. Caution must be exercised!

Checking in Corpus Christi College for my 3-day stay and interviews was something I would like to call, my Hogwarts experience. Not to mention that Christchurch College is located just next door, the actual shooting grounds for the first two Harry Potter films. Dining in a Hogwarts-like dining hall was the highlight here, very different from my Malaysian outdoor midnight supper style. Long wooden ancient tables, a warm fireplace, and professors in robes coming and out for the High Table. It made me feel a part of history and tradition. This was where I tasted genuine Yorkshire pudding. I always considered myself a well-seasoned traveler and foodie. However, the simple deliciousness of the heavy English pudding blew my mind. My backstreet explorations of Oxford cafes outside college dining hours allowed me to taste the famous Oxford homemade ice-cream, my first ever fresh bagel, Cornish pastry and proper English tea.

I got lost in the back roads looking for a local Lebanese restaurant. I ended up at an Internet café/bakery, where the owner offered free pastries and cheerfully told me that I was one road away from the main shopping street. I still laugh about it until today. Getting lost in the greatest city in the world was the cherry on top of my Oxford cream.

I am determined to be back there again, but as a student. Next time.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About sir


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.