Existing Member?

Exploring Paths Lesser Travelled

Losing Yourself in Paris

FRANCE | Saturday, 26 April 2014 | Views [134] | Scholarship Entry

Paris never disappoints. Even after two months living here as part of a university exchange program I can still wander around this amazing city and find there is so much more to see here than what travel guides tell you. On numerous occasions I have taken a wrong turn or gotten off at the wrong metro stop (thanks to my slightly lacking sense of direction) and have found myself in another part of the city unlike any other I have previously seen.
Paris is a far-reaching city made up of a number of different "arrondissements" (different administrative districts) which each hold their own character and charm. Of course you cannot come here without visiting the most popular attractions in the iconic city such as the Eiffel Tower (in the 7th arrondissement) but the mile walk from L'Arc de Triomphe, down Champs Elycees, and through the Tuileries garden to finally end up at the Louvre Museum gives you an insight into why this city is so well renowned. These are all attractions high on the to-do list of most visitors but they really do not dissapoint and they truly show in this small section of the city the extent to which Paris is drenched in history and art.
For this reason, as well as the exciting possibility of getting lost I would definitely encourage people who are planning to come to the city to try to avoid using the metro where possible. Some of my favourite parts of the cities I have found while trying to find my way back onto my planned route. Streets inconspicuously hidden way from parts of the city swarming with tourists are where you will find reasonably priced restaurants, unusual museums and intriguing shops.
No matter how much time you spend in this city you will never be left without something to do or see. It is only when you discover just how vast the city and its treasures are that you can really be amazed by how insignificant you feel in comparison to such a momentous city whose extensive history has rightly made it symbolically, and culturally, one of the most celebrated cities in the world.
My Favourites: Notre Dame, ALL of the museums and the breathtaking Palace of Versailles.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About siobhanpower


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.