Existing Member?

World Sightseeing

Preparing Your Car for a Road Trip

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 5 May 2015 | Views [440]

A large portion of the population prepare their holiday by car as of last few decades. Real advantages are a comfortable/relaxing time where things that we pack are all in one spot and do not need to be carried around as in the past. Equally easy is to find accommodation in the enjoyable environment, especially if children are travelling, and pets with them. A conscientious driver will make a list of all the items to check before the family starts with their trip.

Cars can be complicated to maintain so some of the things that need to be checked can only be done by a motor mechanic. Fluids are an item that is simpler to check, so engine oil, transmission fluid, gasoline, radiator coolant, drivers will control on their own, and the brake fluid and power steering fluid are again motor mechanic’s field. The next important thing are tires, and it would be simpler to add that to the list when one is visiting the mechanic. Further on lights and brakes should be checked as well, particularly the later, as well as the battery.

When the mechanical side of this endeavor has been sorted, entertainment while travelling is equally important. The road trips can be long and tiring, therefore the driver in particular should be alert and capable to endure the trip. Music in particular is quite essential here, so travellers are quite particular about their car audio system, and go into lengths of obtain a good quality one. Music will ‘be an excellent company’ to the driver even when everyone else is quiet or asleep. It is important to pick the sort that will please the tastes of all, the driver in particular.

 While driving it is important to hydrate and take plenty of water. Children and pets need to be restrained properly at all times. Maps, GPSs, Road Information are also staff that is important for your trip, preparing yourself for inconveniences is useful even if they do not happen. So back to an important rule, after every 2-3 hours of driving have a 15 minute rest and that will refresh you considerably. Driving at night is particularly tricky so leaving more space between cars is a good technique. Another novelty is the ‘road rage’ if possible try not to become a ‘sufferer’ it will only spoil the trip…

And it is important to remember that the purpose of driving a car is to have fun. What was mentioned above is essential preparation but bearing in mind that cars enable comfort and excitement is the reason to do the trip in the first place. Just to mention an Eastern Australian Coastal Drive, that is more than 3000 km long, that would be very different if one was to do it by bus, train or even a plane. Lot of it would be missed and impression altered, car will give travellers the freedom to enjoy the beauty of this timeless land. And the stretches of white beaches sometime hundreds kms long will fully be absorbed only if you are driving a car.

Tags: car, on the road, road trip, travel, trip

About silkmoose


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.