Existing Member?

While you're still young, find your heart and find your song

The Coolest-ever Trip

USA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

Standing alone in the heart of Las Vegas desert, unsurprisingly thirsty, with the shoulders burnt and, sure enough, with no trace of local shops, I began to suspect that something must have gone wrong.
You know, there are people I call ‘champions of luck’. If there is a slightest possibility that a shop runs out of their favourite ice-cream or that their plane is late or that their computer breaks down the night before the important presentation, all that will happen to them.
Well, that was definitely the day when I felt that I joined the club.
The coolest-ever trip to Las Vegas turned bizarre the very moment I knew nobody was going to accompany me. For three months my friends and I had been working in Texas, and there came the craved travel time. When I told my friends that I craved for the Grand Canyon, they smiled their adult-experienced smiles and told me that was a pile of rocks. I knew it wasn’t, because the cartoon ‘Cars’ couldn’t have lied (now I know that it’s about California).
When I arrived, it was drizzling. A taxi driver told me that they hadn’t seen any rain for 3 months. Thanks God, he said. What the hell, thought I, as the drizzle turned into shower. Later on, I found out that my phone was soaking wet, i.e. irreparable. The heavy suitcase contributed to my enthusiastic mood. I had planned to see the desert, but I saw the Niagara Falls from the parking.
Oh, and it was a tour trip, but my group had to arrive from Chicago at 4 p.m. I could check in only with those guys. Why opt for such difficulties? Well, it was cheaper. There still was New York to come and I felt I needed money for all that Broadway delights.
The moment I checked in, the rain stopped.
Next day we went to the Grand Canyon, which was actually the raget of the trip. We stopped for lunch (2,5 hours) and for the movie about the Canyon (movie + souvenirs = 1,5 hours). When we came to the place, we had an HOUR to see the breathtaking view. I was really lucky, because the cloud hid a half of the valley. Anyway, it started raining, and all the tourists got scared they would melt under it. As a result, I had my private observation area. That moment I felt on the world’s edge, free and blessed, and ingenuous.
As for that desert incident, I got lost while walking to the ‘real’ Las Vegas downtown, as I’d read in a travel blog that the Las Vegas Strip is a mainstream and not cool enough. Now believe me, that with its conditioned air and vast chilly hotel halls, it’s COOL enough.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About sil4ushonok


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.