Existing Member?

Being Simple is Rich

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [141] | Scholarship Entry

“Beauty in Simplicity” is one phrase that I could give to describe life in Alor Island.

Alor Island is located in Nusa Tenggara Timur, Indonesia. Alor is not a big city in Indonesia, but it provides state of comfort and tranquility. Although there are no modern types of entertainment, Alor Island provides a vacation that would make us understand that through simplicity, we can fuse with the society and the nature.

Lack of transportation services would leave no option for us to use public transportation where we could know the society closer. They use old multi-purpose vehicle car which can hold 6-7 peoples in it as the public transport. In this car, the driver usually plays the local timor song and you would not be surprised if there is any other passenger who will greet and take you into a warm conversation. Local people there will accept guest as their family. They believe that guest is family separated by distance.

In Alor, we do not have to walk far to find beautiful beach. It is just like have a private beach at your own backyard. My adrenaline was started to rush when I had to visit small islands around Alor Islands with using only a small traditional boat. But, when I was in the middle of the sea, I did not have much time to worry because the scenery is sublimely beautiful. The sea water is perfectly clean and I was surrounded by beautiful hills, with accompany from groups of colorful fishes swimming under my boat.

During my trip, local people always love to tell beautiful stories about Alor and their dream to make Alor a better place for tourism. Most of the people pride to be part of this Island. They believe that the harmony and beauty of this island are more interesting than technology and luxury. They know, at the end, there are a lot of people from other side of the world who imagine a peaceful, harmonious and simple life as they do.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About siksta


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.