Existing Member?

The moment that inspired my wanderlust.

An igloo adventure.

SWITZERLAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [190] | Scholarship Entry

After the three hour train journey and a cable car ride through the Swiss mountains, there at the base of the mountain, and almost invisible in the snow, was the igloo we would be spending the night to celebrate my Mums birthday.

There was no electricity or flushing toilets, with just candles to light the rooms but I couldn't be happier. Detailed ice carvings lined the walls, with little alcoves that housed the candles. It was surprisingly warm inside and in no time I was taking off my coat to relax for the evening meal of cheese fondue. Then came the part I was most looking forward to, snow shoe walking. We attached the contraptions to our shoes and started to practice walking around. Slowly everyone started to get the hang of it and after about 15 minutes of walking everyone was walking normally - well, as normal as you can with two great tennis rackets strapped to your feet! 'This way,' the tour guide motioned towards a steep incline. My face dropped, I had only just mastered walking on flat ground, never mind up a steep hill coated in two foot of soft snow! Me and my sister held on to each other and took on the challenge. We eventually struggled to the top and exhausted, we took in the view.

Looking out over the town, twinkling lights glistened from the tiny houses and I begun thinking of the people in there, making tea and reading stories to their children. And then I looked toward the sky, with the greatest number of stars I have ever seen. It was at that moment I felt so humbled and grateful to be where I was, just a tiny speck on this vast planet. I felt overwhelmed with a stillness and peace and found myself wanting the whole world to experience what I had just felt. Everyone was in high spirits on the return journey - especially after seeing my Mum fall and roll half way down the hill, landing with her feet up in the air. I had never laughed so much in all my life. I left that place feeling inspired and full of hope for my future, knowing I would want travel and adventures for the rest of my life.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About sigourneystansfield


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.