Existing Member?

My Australian food odyssey

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 17 April 2012 | Views [133] | Scholarship Entry

Landing in Perth I was determined to sample native Australian cuisine. The opportunity arose in Denham on a two day 4WD tour with the now defunct ‘Shark Bay Safaris’. Each evening Leon our guide and conservationist would cook up a meat and fish dish. The first evening he mustered up a meal of meat from a camel’s behind and the second day crocodile, a tougher meat, on one of those barbies provided by the authorities for the outdoor loving Australians. An Aussie barbecue should contain meat or fish such as snags (sausages) or prawns. In general vegetarianism is not prized in this macho culture.
Sampling kangaroo felt like eating Skippy but outbackers have no time for, in their minds, such over sensitive nonsense. They’re a tough, hardy lot who have managed to prosper in a harsh environment, much of it browbeaten by the sun where survival not sensitivities was the order of the day and molded the Australian character.
Australia, a modern multi-cultural society, has become a true melting pot of cultures and cuisines. There is no shortage of ethnic restaurants, such as the German ‘Lowenbrau Keller’, in the quaint area of ‘The Rocks’ where Sydney was founded and is a good place to find them.
Australians enjoy the bountiful seafood they obtain from the surrounding sea. I dined in the pricey seafood restaurant ‘Doyles on the Beach’, at Watson’s Bay,.staring up Sydney harbour through the Gap to the city’s skyline or try ‘Doyles on the Wharf Seafood Takeaway & Bistro’. The most pleasurable way to reach it is by Sydney ferries. If you buy a day ticket you can explore the whole harbour!
Australian food markets and supermarkets are full of exotic fresh vegetables and fruit. Many like to eat healthily and appreciate the array of fresh produce available.
Australians are authors of the concept ‘BYO’ to restaurants that have no liquor license meaning ‘bring your own’ drink. Hence eating out frequently is more affordable to Australians and is part of the culture.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About sierra


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.