Existing Member?

To India with Love

Ranchi No, Ranchi Yes

INDIA | Friday, 11 July 2008 | Views [1432] | Comments [7]

Ranchi No, Ranchi Yes

 

 

Ranchi is the capital of Jharkand state. It used to be of Bihar state until, I think, about a decade ago. The locals rebelled against the Bihar state government and got their own little place in India.  It is mineral and coal rich and the feeling you when you are driving through the main part of the city is like a charge. There is so much going on and  so many people walking, cycling, on all forms of motorised two wheel transport, and cars. Lots and lots of cars. Like anywhere else in  India there is an understanding of mutual survival rather than any particular road rules as such. The bigger you are, the more right of way you have. The more you beep your horn the more important it is that you get past in a hurry and the bigger you are( ascertained by the person in front with a quick, almost scornful glance back) the faster they will get out of your way. We were in an ambassador deluxe diesel car, non A/C  taxi, so we sat somewhere near the middle of the bumping order. Above us were private sedans and vans, army jeeps, really crazy bus drivers (usually slower than a taxi car but not when driven by a mad man), and then you have the rich guys in there larger, modern four- wheel drives - driven by employed drivers is most cases - who are willing to kill in order to establish their credentials as being committed to the job. Under no circumstances should you take on the transport trucks. You can not get a license to drive one of these unless you can prove that you are  1) Psychotic 2) Suffer an inferiority complex 3) Are legally blind.

 

Note to travelers to Ranchi - please do not stay at the Ashoka Hotel. It is in a lovely location, has a friendly doorman, however, the rooms themselves - as expensive as the best two hotels in Ranchi - are crap. Sorry to be crass but you need to hear it as it is. We learnt the hard way. Dirty. No - filthy. The mattress that my daughter had to sleep on was ripped and ummm, well - we moved hotels the following morning. The toilet had one of those " Cleaned and sealed for you protection" bands over it, the only trouble is that  someone forgot to tell whoever put it on that the piece of paper does not clean the toilet by itself...and I really don't want to go into detail, but we think they took vitamins and were quite...ummmm..hirsute "down there"...yes...we checked in quickly, got back from an afternoon/ evening out and  the air-con wasn't working...we moved rooms at 10pm...again with the "sealed for you protection routine...same vitamins...same colour hair....

 

The Capitol Residency is a palace! And not just because we came from the Ashoka. It was fantastic. Great staff, superb modern Indian hospitality with a traditional feel in terms of room layout and fittings. We loved it. Only wish we had more time to stay. Go to Ranchi just to spoil yourself. And cheaper than the Ashoka.

 

Now very comfortably ensconced, we meet some wonderful local people through a contact from the Indian adoptive families group. The hospitality and warmth was beautiful. We spent the evening at their house meeting all of the family, Neelu had kids to play with at last! And we spent the following afternoon with Mini - one of the sisters of Gita, a close friend of Sheetal's, the friend and contact of ours in Sydney. we went to the part of town that her husband hasa couple of shops in. It is in the older part of Ranchi with little street and shops galore, local really quite suprised to us there, but very friendly. Mini knew everyone of course. When we parted company last night, we felt were saying goodbye to an old friend.

 

Don't get the wrong impression about Ranchi. I loved it. It was vibrant and friendly and of course, my daughter to be, Ankita, is a Ranchi girl, so yeah, it's a very cool place.

 

I'll tell you about Ankita and the Missionaries of Charity in Ranchi another time.

 

Tags: adoption, hotels, india, indian traffic, ranchi

Comments

1

classic!!!

  Aysha and Pat Jul 12, 2008 1:28 PM

2

hi guys
its a wonderful idea going on this adventure with you i'm enthralled, c'mon wheres the next episode

  peter and saa gilchrist Jul 13, 2008 1:27 PM

3

Hi Shayne, Raj and Neelu,

Just heard today about your trip. We're so thrilled for all 3 of you and for Ankita to have such a wonderful family.

Didn't realise you were such a talented writer, Raj!
Only joking...

Our prayers and thoughts are always with you.

Much love from Dan, Valerie, Niamh, Eoin and Brian xxxxx

  Valerie Lynch Jul 15, 2008 8:24 PM

4

Shayne Raj and Neelu,
Great to get my little Siddhu family fix.Am enjoying the journey.
Lots of love,
Geoff

  Geoff Morrell Jul 16, 2008 4:45 PM

5

Somehow finding the time to read this between unemployed spontaneous adventures, which sometimes involve beer. Completely hooked. Lots of love. xoxoxoxo

  Beckley Jul 16, 2008 10:36 PM

6

We looked for you on Goodle Earth but no luck. When are we going to hear about this young Ranchi girl, Ankita, and the Missionaries of Charity? It's great getting your journal entries, Raj, and the photos. We are loving news of the Sidhus on safari. More please, sir ...

LOL L&M

  Lyn and the Burdle Jul 17, 2008 10:07 AM

7

Oh my lovelies, I am so glad you are there, not for the hairy vitamins but for the living and the loving and the Ranchi girl. Monsoon love to you all, George x

  George Jul 17, 2008 1:33 PM

About sidhus_on_safari


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.