Existing Member?

Muse from a traveler and photographer in India Stories from travel around the world by an Indian photographer and entrepreneur .

A visit to Bhuira Jams ,Himachal Pradesh

INDIA | Saturday, 8 November 2014 | Views [874]

So, this was one trip that was literally unplanned. We did n’t booked any confirmed train tickets and ended up travelling in general class. Instead of taxis we decided to stop at bus stations, have chai and hop on to the next bus that would take us closer to the destination.

_MG_9330-low res

And we discussed cultures, way of living, Borges, poetry, movies, entrepreneurship and more on the way.

_MG_9249

All of which was worth it as we reached to the village of Bhuira, nestled in Himachal, in a quiet remote corner of the state, where miracles happen everyday. Chances are if you might have visited any upscale or well-stocked general store in New Delhi and looked for jams you might have found neat looking bottles of Bhuira Jams.

_MG_9270

I first heard about Bhuira in 2011 and was fascinated by their story. Always wanted to make a visit and see how they operate in real. Group of village women, working their way out and changing the economic landscape of the entire village .In the process not only making the region famous, but also creating world-class jams and chutneys. Initiated by Mrs. Linette Mushran, the group of women met, understood their resources and ambition and slowly made a business out of it overcoming all the challenges that one might face in a startup. As of now they have 27 varieties of jams and they all look yum. To be honest I have never picked up so many jams at once but am happy I did so.

with Jas and Bhuira women-1

You can find them easily in Delhi and other parts of India, but in case someone wants to make a special trip, then head to Himachal Pradesh. The route we took was

 

New Delhi-Kalka (train)- Solan ( via bus)-Rajgarh (via bus) –Bhuira ( by bus and taxi both)

 

One can make a night stay in Rajgarh or in retreats that are close by in the area. As they say journey is the destination ,its worth a trip to this non touristy place .

_MG_9267

Tags: delhi getaways, documentary photographer in india, grassroute travel in india, himalayas, india, travel photographer

 

About siddharthjain


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.