Existing Member?

my wrong direction story

I felt like..

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [131] | Scholarship Entry

The boy asked “Mom, I know the way to nani’s home. Please let me go”. She loosened the grip on boy’s hand and he started running towards the last turn for the house. The boy was running as fast as he could. All of a sudden he realized that someone was calling him. He looked back, his mother was running towards him. The next moment she reached, she slapped the boy and screamed “I have always told you not to leave my hand!” He left the turn while trying to run faster. It was me at the age of six when I first visited my grandmother’s house, which is located in a culturally diverse area.
Today, I am a 2nd year student spending my winter vacations at home in Banares. I made a plan to visit one of my friends’ college in Kanpur. Anyhow I convinced everyone including my mom for that. I needed to cover one night’s train journey and so decided to leave the very next day. I reached the railway station at 10 pm and bought a ticket for myself. Now I had wait for the train, which was running late due to fog. After a long wait of 5 hours, I boarded and conveniently found a seat in the general coach and fall asleep.
In the morning at 6 am, I woke up to the noise around, I checked my belongings. After a while I asked the person sitting next to me “When will this train reach Kanpur?” The next moment I saw his face stunned as he answered “This train is going to Gorakhpur, not Kanpur”. Gorakhpur is exactly opposite in direction to that of Kanpur. I froze for a moment, it took a while to regain myself. I got off the train on the next station and started to look for the next train to Benares. Fortunately there was a train arriving in next 5 minutes that would go to Benares. I didn't bother about the ticket this time and ran towards the other platform to catch the train. The train was full like a loaded gun and there was no room to even place a foot inside. I managed to fit myself in a small space on a seat that was already full. After an hour of the journey, I suddenly heard my phone ringing, it was my mom calling. I could feel my ears getting heated up and my hands trembling due to fear. I could hear my inner voice loud “What should I tell to mom?” I told the truth to mom and as expected, she scolded and worried about me. I felt like if I was the same six years old boy, running in the wrong direction and caught by mom again, slapped by one hand and held tightly by the other one.
Everyone thought that the trip was a failure, but for me it is the best trip I ever had.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About shubham


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.