Existing Member?

Elusive godess

In search of a goddess

INDIA | Saturday, 3 May 2014 | Views [115] | Scholarship Entry

When we think of a hero, it is very uncommon to think of a woman in that role. We are made to think of her in a more classic mould of a home maker, a multi-tasker. In Calcutta, I am in search of the goddess who vanquished the demon king, whom none of the other gods could. The city is bustling with people, all dressed up in festive clothes preparing for the Durga pooja as they have done through many generations. The women in traditional white and red saris, and amongst them I might find a ferocious, yet beautiful face of the goddess. She has ten hands laden with different weapons. Her face is full of certainty and calm even as she pierces the heart of the demon king. As I stared at her idol, I found a face standing next to me, of a woman, with same features. Another woman, also with the same features stood ahead. Suddenly I found myself surrounded by the women with a portion of goddess in them all. All the women in Bengal had those eyes, wide, deep and beautiful. A round face with calm, adorned with dark tresses. The goddess was in the soil, air and water, seeping into each girl born on this land. She gives these women the confidence and strength to vanquish any demon that might threaten her family and loved ones. The men in their lives are indeed lucky to find women of such strength. A source of constant progress and energy from these women drove the city forward. While I looked around, my thoughts were interrupted the sound of the conch that said the holy moment that the goddess descends to the earth was here, but I knew I did not have to search far for her anymore.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About shreekinessoflife


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.