Existing Member?

Tales from Rajasthan, India

Oasis at Khuri

INDIA | Saturday, 16 May 2015 | Views [165] | Scholarship Entry

Sipping fresh water in the cool shade of a huge tree in company of laughing and chatting village belles dressed in riot of vivid red, green, violet ghagharas covered in tiny sparkling mirrors that reflect the bright sun and the golden expanse of sand!
It wasn’t a wishful thinking and neither was I hallucinating from the scorching dehydrating heat of the burning sun!
There in the middle of the scalding desert stood a huge Neem tree (Azadirachta indica) at least a century old with its thick green foliage spreading out making a large umbrella like one rich great grandfather who takes all the children under his wings protecting, nurturing and bestowing upon them all the lavishness. The well, under the shade of tree was covered just enough to let only one pail reach inside to draw water.
As I spent time, at the lesser known pristine ‘Khuri’ dunes, 40 kilometers south-west of Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, with the rest of the group frolicking in the ripple-patterned sand like two-year olds, riding the camels decorated with tasseled seat made of patches of colorful cloth, enjoying the cold beer and soft drinks, I realized we had come far and deep into the desert with the tree nowhere in sight. It was only sand and more sand as far as the eye could see with the dune peaks twisted by the blowing wind in a swirl like the soft-serve ice-cream.
By six in the evening, when we returned to our tents from the camel safari, the tree was a buzz of activity. The scene seemed to have come alive straight out of a painting, with few camels munching on the lower branches, birds chirping noisily, children taking turns at the swing hanging from thick branch, women with their arms full of ivory bangles and heads covered with colorful embroidered ‘odhni’ (long scarves) drawing water from the well and carrying the pots precariously balanced on their heads back to their huts.
Soon the sun set withdrawing its heat making way for the chilly night, all gathered around the camp fire to see village women perform Kalbeliya, the snake-charmers dance.
Oh! How I wished to sing, dance and swing without a care in the world like the simple villagers!
Khuri, is far away from the chaos of the much visited Sam Dunes of Jaisalmer with better accommodation, personalized service and occasional wild deer sightings. Jeeps and taxis are available for hire at Jaisalmer to travel till Khuri and back.
A day spent at Khuri reiterated the importance of being content and finding joy in simpler things in life.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About shomaabhyankar


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.