Existing Member?

gone fishing... where next?

Singapore, From Sup Tulang Merah to Zouk Out

SINGAPORE | Tuesday, 8 March 2011 | Views [2145]

I went to Singapore with my friends for 3 days (11th-13th December 2009) by AirAsia. We already bought the tickets since July. I was quite disappointed with the ticket price I got, because somebody got lower price. And they just bought it a few weeks before the trip…zzz… AirAsia is so unpredictable. You just have to try your luck.

All my friends believed all stuffs like the plane tix, hotels, and itinerary to me. So I was the only one busy browsing all these things. I didn’t mind at all. I love making itinerary.

So we took the earliest flight from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport and arrived at Changi Airport around 10 AM. We took MRT to Bugis. Checked in and grabbed lunch at Raffles Hospital food court.

I stayed at ABC Backpackers Hostel. I felt sooo happy I found it. Cheap, clean, and cheap. Did I mention cheap? The hostel is only 5 mins walk from Bugis MRT Station. There were other cheaper one in Little India, but I prefer Bugis to Little India. And ABC is the cheapest amongst all in Bugis. So we rent to 6 bed room dorm for 18 SGD/night/person. First I wanted the 8 bed room for 15 SGD/nights, but they suggest us this 6 bed room so we can have the whole room for ourselves. Well that’s a good idea, so I took it.

We stayed for 3D/2N. Our total expense for the hostel was 36 SGD and 10 SGD for deposit. Not bad huh? Since it’s a dorm, the toilet & bathroom is not attached in the room. There are soaps and shampoos from former backpackers who don’t want to bring their stuff to their next journey. We got lockers inside the room, blanket, and towel. Breakfast is provided until 10.30. We ate breakfast in the back alley of the hostel. Breakfast time is the time you met other backpackers. I met backpackers from Argentina, Germany, India, and couples from Indonesia too.


After having lunch we went to Bugis Junction and Bugis Village. I took pictures of the famous colorful houses with the spiral stairs in Bugis. It was lovely. After that I & my bf went to Chinatown, to buy some aero modeling RC spare parts for my dad, while the others went to Orchard. Like many other Chinatown, every kind of herbs with this weird smell is sold there. I ate Mango Sago for 2.8 SGD, it’s a dessert and great for the sunny weather.

Next destination is Orchard. We were quite tired already. So we only walk from ION – Takashimaya then ended up at Food Republic. We continue walking until Somerset then took MRT back to Bugis.

What’s a holiday without a tired foot, right?

Arrive at the hostel, we took some rest for a while and then I have to pick up my cousin in Changi again. She took the last flight because the still got exams. I was late picking her up because I hadn’t set my watch to Singapore time. But thank God her flight was delayed, so we arrived on time to pick her up. It was around 11 PM and we hadn’t had dinner.

    
I was craving for Sup Tulang Merah. Had read and watched people’s review on this delicacy and was eager to try it. I was told to eat the one at Beach Rd., near Bugis. So from Changi we took MRT to Lavender (because from the map it seems closer if we walk from Lavender than Bugis). Its actually still quite far, I felt sorry for my bf and my cousins,,…. But I like walking, so no problem for me. Esp. the reason you walk this far is for sup tulang. :D

So we arrive at Beach Rd., the food court is across the Golden Mile Complex. It was 12 AM, only a couple of stall is still open. Of course the Sup Tulang is open! They are open until 2 AM. My other friends join to have dinner here. When the tulang came, no one eat it. They were all staring at this red bloody thing at the table. One’s asked,”Are you sure wanna eat that?” Me, “Sure! This is what I came to Singapore for!” LOL.

Having clueless about the taste, I was pretty confident it tastes good. And after I ate it, it was not good, it’s great! We have some good talk and good laughs over the dinner, and walked back to the hostel. The streets were already empty; one street is full of cars parked. I think it’s a night club. We arrive at the hostel around 2 AM. Everyone got into their bed, talking until everyone fell asleep.

I bet no one woke up if my friend didn’t turn on the lights. We took breakfast, toast bread with sarikaya jam, earl grey tea, and good chat. Met a couple of Argentineans backpackers, they just went to Bali, spend a couple of days in Singapore, then off to Thailand. After breakfast we clean our own dishes then took a bath.

Our plan for day 2 is around Raffles, Merlion, Esplanade, and City Hall. I took photos again. Then have lunch in Lau Pa Sat. Lau Pa Sat was Singapore's first wet market and turned into a food court. The building is very beautiful with great details. I was looking for kebab, but didn’t found it there. So I ordered fish ball soup 3.5 SGD. After lunching we headed to Orchard again.

The girls went shopping and the boys went…I don’t know. I just know the girls went shopping. I went to The Heeren, eat es potong at the street, Far East Plaza (my fave mall), ION, and then back to the hostel. We had very limited time. Haven’t comb Far East Plaza But we have to get ready for Zouk Out.


Zouk Out is an annual outdoor dance music festival located in Siloso Beach, Sentosa. I wasn’t much of a party people. I didn’t even know who the line ups were. Lol…But my friend already bought tickets (59 SGD) for me, so I’m going. Yes I’ve heard of Armin van Buuren, the number one DJ of today I guess. I don’t know his songs. But I enjoy his performance. Miss Kittin and The Hacker (MKTH) was great too! Love their music & their stage performance!

Well actually, I only dance during MKTH and Armin. Other than that I was sleeping next to the stage (literally)..ROTFL. We got there at 9 PM, had dinner (finally kebab!), MKTH was at 11 PM, after that I sit next to the stage, sleeping on and off, and got in front of the stage again at 5 AM. Armin played into the sunrise. Cool! Although Zouk Out wasn’t my main plan, I had fun there. We went home at 7 AM, catching the first MRT to the city.

Back at the hostel, we didn’t waste our time sleeping. Hey we already slept at the beach! Remember? I took a shower then had breakfast. We met other guest from Indonesia and they were at Zouk Out too. 23000 people went to Zouk Out, I guess most of them were Indonesians. After breakfast we have to pack our bags. Check out time is 11 AM, but our flight was still at 10 PM. Luckily we can leave our bags in the hostel and pick it up later on.

We went to Bugis Village again, my friends wanted to buy gifts, then Mustafa in Little India for chocolates!. After Mustafa we took a late lunch at Vivo City in Harbour Front, and then relax at the open space in Vivo.

Time passes so fast, we had to go back to the hostel, pick up our bags, and go straight to the airport. Our holiday was ending soon. At the airport we took a quick bite then off to the boarding room. Minutes later we were entering the plane and (not-so-)ready to fly back home.

My plane tix costs aprox. 1.1 mill rupiah, eating per meal cost about 5 SGD, MRT for 3 days around 10 SGD.

It’s always sad when your holiday ends, but it’s never sad to plan for another one.

Tags: beach, food

About shizuoka


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.