Existing Member?

Out on Adventures

Lost in SinVille

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 29 April 2014 | Views [204] | Scholarship Entry

Incredibly ecstatic of going backpacking once more!

So… After laying over in Singapore for a few hours, catching up with my two favourite roommates, I flew away to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, always accompanied by my medium-sized backpack I bought in Vietnam a few months ago and a dry bag – perfectly adequate to keep everything I need.

Phnom Penh was all right, nothing was really exciting about the city, apart from the Killing Field and Genocide Museum. Those places gave me the creep and depression. Anyway, I took tuk tuk - the renowned public transport in Cambodia - from the airport to the bus station. I completely loved being on tuk tuk once more, feeling the afternoon breeze and I was glad that I arrived just in time to catch the next bus to Sihanoukville without having to wait for ages.

It took about 5 hours to reach Sihanoukville. On my way, I met a few other travellers so this solo traveller didn’t have to be alone for too long. Once we arrived, of course, we were immediately swarming with tuk tuk drivers. I hated it when they did, but then again they were just doing their job. So, after having a hard time rejecting every single of them, we managed to make our way to the city on our own. It took a while to reach Serendipity Beach, probably about 30 to 45 minutes by foot. We made it, eventually.

The following days were a couple of chilled days on the beach. By the time I was bored with all these tranquil moments I had, I went to some dive shops nearby, hoping they would take me as their dive master. It wasn’t my luck apparently, due to the large amount of dive masters working that time.

In the next few hours, when my friend and I were walking back to our dorm, we spotted a few people standing in front of our dorm giving out flyers. Within a week, I became one of them. Turned out to be the coolest of jobs I’ve ever come across - giving out flyers during the day and being an awesome bartender at night with privileges like free food, drinks and accommodation. The people I met, people of all nations, which most of them were my fellow colleagues are exceptionally genial. I had so much fun; especially that night at Otres Beach Festival. We painted ourselves all over with fluorescent paint and danced through the night until morning.

Travel truly gives me a chance to experience heaps of terrific things I could never learn from school. And as one would expect, my life recently has been an extraordinary bliss.

For 30 days, I was lost in paradise.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About shierlyangelina


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.