Existing Member?

My motion through Time

I am an Ocean Virgin

PUERTO RICO | Friday, 3 April 2015 | Views [171]

All the sounds came to a sudden stop as I plunged into this vast silence of the ocean. Time had slowed down. I was afraid that the saline water would sting my eyes if i opened them, but it didnt. I had never opened my eyes under water before. It  was a strange visual experience. The water was a much thicker medium than air and everything had a bluish tinge to it. I was probably a feet under water, feeling weightless, floating gently looking around trying to see as much as I could, as I had to reach the surface soon to breathe again. I held on tightly to Parvez's hands. I stole a lglance at my own body and was surprised at how pretty it looked in the ocean. It was a beautiful sight. My body had never looked so beautiful to me before. And just as my eyes shifted from my body I saw something orange in the distant. A shock ran down my spine and I surfaced quickly to take a breath. i was not sure what I had seen. I could not wait to go immerse in the ocean again to get a better look at it. Holding onto Parvez's hands I went under the water again. It was in the bottom of the ocean, orange, extremely still. I could not recognize what it was because I had never seen it before. But I knew I had fallen in love with whatever it was. This time when I hit the surface I asked Parvez if he knew anyting about it as he had just returned from a swim. I could not believe when he told me it was a coral reef. A CORAL REEF! This was unbelievable. Unreal.

Peering through the clearest blue waters, I was looking around as much as I could and as quickly as possible while holding on to Parvez's hand -this time with only hand, using the other to navigate. The waters were pretty deep. I could have easily drowned as I didnt know how to swim. But I was experiencing something so exciting that I could not get enough of it. Time was not on my side as we had to leave in another 10-15 minutes to catch the ferry which would take us back to the main island of Puerto Rico. It was the last day of my trip.  I felt helpless because at that given time, all I wanted in the world was to be there and get as much of the beautiful waters as I could. Its a feeling hard to describe. I also deeply regretted not knowing how to swim. Well, let me correct that. I had learnt swimming 2 days ago in the swimming pool of our resort by an elderly gentleman from New York. He taught me to how to advance in waters, a skill I quickly learnt. What I didnt learn however was how to take a a co-ordinated breath. Every time I attempted to breathe i ended up swallowing water as  I would either breathe too early or too late.  The next day, I had jumped into the Atlantic, and with the support of my husband and friends who promised me they wouldnt let me die, I was riding wave after wave. Slowly I could feel my strokes getting stronger as my arms and limbs were working in better concert with each other. But I still could not co-ordinate well enough to take a safe breath. causing me to keep swallowing water. I kept doing this for atleast 2-3 hours. I called it quits when I felt that If I swallowed anymore water I would get hypernatremia. Another problem was I could not open my eyes in the ocean.

 But that day in the Tamarindo beach was different. I felt at peace submerged under the water, and all the worldly sounds had come to a deafening silence. It was a sensory delight. I was seeing beautiful colors. Feeling the cool ocean with my skin. I felt happy. I didnt want to leave. Other snorkellers had reported seeing turtles earlier in the morning that day. TURTLES! If only I knew how to swim.

The ocean is this world that I know so little about. Swimming in the waters of Tamarindo Beach of Culebra has been one of the most special experiences of my life. It was fearful yet exciting. I guess I was experiencing an adrenaline rush. And I cannot wait to return. I definitley have some work to do before. At 30 years of age, trying to learn how to swim is a really difficult task, but its a skill I am desperate to acquire. I know I will return to the ocean again and hopefully will be  go SCUBA diving one day. Cannot wait.

About shicek


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Puerto Rico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.