Existing Member?

Mekong Mama

Vientiane tales

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 29 March 2010 | Views [278]

As usual I have been very slow at getting into this blogging mullarkey. My excuse is slow internet speeds and the heat. Well here goes.

Time has flown by. I've been teaching English ( as a volunteer at the Sunshine School in Vientiane ), mostly to junior high students, that's years 7 8 9 10, young adolescents. For the most part the kids are great but the lessons are short so it can be hard to get through much. They are the usual mix of the hard workers, the sleepers (literally) and the boys at the back. The class sizes are around 20 to 25 so not too ba

There are mostly Lao teachers at school and my co teacher Jock is a sweetie. A new volunteer turned up last week. A young American lad Tim who the students nicknamed Mr Bean, Haven't found out my nickname yet.

As the school has a holistic, buddhist foundation we start classes wit a short meditation. It does seem to calm them down and they are all very into it. There are never any groans.

The food is typical SE Asian a touch of THai , a touch of Vietnamese and a dash of FRench Colonial with dreaded burgers and fastfood appearing. The food can be INCEDIBLY spicy, whole chillis used liberally, especially in the papaya salad. Laap, pronounced Larp is the signature dish.

I am currently booking flights to Malaysia and into deepest Borne. I want to see some real jungle habitats before it all disappears under palm oil plantations.

Now I've figured out how this works I will try to load some pics ..... watch this space.

Tags: vientiane volunteering

 

About shezma


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.