Existing Member?

How things go

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [120] | Scholarship Entry


What is it to be far away in another country? I really have no idea, but I definitely get it when someone explains their travel experiences and you get to see a glimpse of the blast they had. I’m from Merida, Yucatan (colorful) Mexico!, and here, every region has its own stamp, or how you would say mark, you might actually see different costumes, music and food just by crossing to the next state few hours away. And also if I haven’t had the chance to go abroad I deeply enjoy being away home. Because that is time for my own, for my thoughts, and the guy who said “by spending time on your own you get to know yourself better” was right.. tho I don’t remember where I heard or read that. Maybe that’s why I enjoy the short 30 minutes trips by bus from home to work! I listen to music and drift to the land of thoughts and ideas.
I love it when I get to talk to someone with different ideas, different background, I always learn something new, and even altho I haven’t been out of this beloved country, I believe travelers bring a bit of his home within them and that is the reason why I’m so eager to know about new places, new languages, new food, music and all the diversity and complexity a culture can bring to you. To dive in an unknown culture makes me feel thrilled, tempted and scared all at the same time.. because great ancient explorers could had those feelings I can feel that too! right? of course I won’t be discovering a virgin land that’s has not been walked by men, but it will feel the same way: as long as my eyes don’t see it, it doesn’t exist! And when the moment comes.. well, it can’t be erased! .. sounds a bit as “what has been seen can’t be unseen” I’m an adventurer at heart, I celebrate in joy if you go and tell me about your travels, I’d ask you about how’s the people “over there”, what you ate, I’d probably ask about the traditional costumes and music and definitely would ask “what souvenir you brought for me?” don’t get me wrong, I’m not the shopaholic type..(yet to be proved) I try to find those things that got the name of the place written all over (hypothetically speaking) those things that represent the place I’m visiting.
In resume.. I really want the opportunity to do one of the things in the world that shows all passion for discovery! To take that chance and give a contribution to travelers and some day be able to write something more or less in this lines: “To the undecided traveler seeking for new adventures: don’t think, just go!” What I mean, I want to be on the traveler’s shoes and encourage others with the flag “If I can have so much fun, you can too” enough with being a spectator!

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About shewantstotravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.