Existing Member?

Nestled amongst the Tuscan Hillside

Alice has found her wonderland

ITALY | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [111] | Scholarship Entry

It was the last day of my trip; I’d woken up to quite a sore head feeling tired, exhausted and ready to go home. I’d been backpacking my way around Italy for over a month, I felt I had soaked in every church, monument and sacred site there was. But just when I thought I had seen all there was to offer; we arrived at the city gates of the Tuscan city of San gimignano. The 15th century buildings towered above the city walls and the church bells echoed amongst the Tuscan hillside. We disembarked and began to immerse ourselves in the idyllic fairy-tale that was before us.

What would usually be a bustling town centre in the summer was almost deserted in the quiet, crisp winter air. We walked the cobblestone streets listening to the facts and history of the medieval town. After the guided tour most of my travelling companions made their way to the nearest café for some afternoon tea. Thanks to my ill stomach from the night before my appetite was non-existent and I chose to continue exploring instead.

I made my way up a shockingly steep incline to the edge of the city, where just a bit further up, nestled behind the beautiful Tuscan flora was a medieval lookout. I climbed the tower using all four limbs to keep my balance, whilst braving my apprehension of heights. As I reached the top I realised, the view that stood proudly before me was worth all the trouble in the world. I stood at the top of the medieval structure, looking out at the never ending Tuscan countryside, it was completely silent, the only exception the chirping of local birds. I stood there in the winter air for quite some time, thinking to myself if heaven was real it would look just like this.

I was brought back to the present by the chiming of the church bells signally another hour past, and the sign I had to make my way back to my group.

As I was walking down, back to the city centre an elderly Italian lady signaled me and invited me into her shop, I accepted and had a quick browse around at all her beautifully handmade nick knacks. I came across a necklace with a depiction of Alice following the white rabbit down the hole, into wonderland; I just had to have it. I paid for the necklace, thanked the women and continued back to the bus ready to start my journey home. As I sat on the bus with San Gimignano disappearing in our wake, I unhooked the clasp and put on my new necklace, and thought to myself Alice has definitely found her wonderland and someday she would find her way back there.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About shesmadeline


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.