Existing Member?

Cairns of Spice - Shepherd's Rite

Pack Check

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 6 January 2013 | Views [274] | Comments [4]

Hi all, Excitement is building and we both expressed being a little nervous yesterday.  All the research on spices and where they come from, the details of leaving the ranch in good shape so we can be away, and planning our route... and realizing we head out tomorrow.  

We did a pack check and tested out all our gear yesterday.  We are traveling so light with just carry-on packs and a day pack. Patagonia has sponsored our journey of chasing spices around the world so we have the lightest best clothing imaginable. Thank You Patagonia!  

Our main sponsors are Grammi and Pop Lauer.  They worked their whole lives and had lots of fun along the way and they also put some money away each year for their kids and grandkids. It is because of their love and foresight that we are able to explore this learning opportunity.  Thank you folks for allowing us to go and see what we may as we follow spices and learn how to cook the many unique cuisines around the around the world this year.  We don't know how to begin to thank Rose, Mom, and Zopher and Vanessa and all at the Ranch who volunteer and have offered to help when they can while we are away.  There has been so much care too from many of our friends and board members with advise on travel insurance, books to read, meds to carry, herbal remedies, and the many details of traveling.  Talking with Gram Pat this morning she too passed on her blessings, the whole Armor of God.  Hard to imagine being more prepared and more ready.  Thank you all.

Sunday we take the train from Glenwood Springs to Denver where Uncle Bruff will pick us up for an overnight @ Wendy's house. Then he'll take us to DIA for our one way flight to Madrid Spain. We have our route planned, probably ambitious but are flexible and can cut our sections if we find something and want to stick.  So far we are looking at the herbs and spice that come from Spain, Morocco, Italy - where Shep wants to spend a lot of time in, especially Rome. Also India, maybe Sri Lanka, and Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Indonesia.  We will be out for about 100 days.  

Tags: heading out

Comments

1

I am picturing your days.... must be amazing, to see all that in real life.
We are great here, Megan and Alana where here today to help. Looks like we might be in for a bit of a storm. really cold and snow, up to 15 inches so says the morning weather report.
What are the markets like in Spain this time of year? whats in season?
big love to you both
Mom

  Rose LeVan Jan 11, 2013 10:10 AM

2

this sounds amazing! I can't wait to follow all of your travels, make sure to keep us updated!! Good luck and have fun, guys!

  holt perkins Jan 11, 2013 11:23 AM

3

Hey!!!! Got your dancing postcard from Barcelona and good thing you all know mosques;)))

HEY -write more here so we can follow you all:)))
XXOOO BIG LOVE from all you rfans in ST LOUIS!!!

  Suzette Jan 30, 2013 8:47 AM

4

Thanks for all the great post cards !!! I hope you took some photos of the fishermen!!! Eat laugh and love, mucho love to you, oxo

  Annette Mar 1, 2013 3:59 PM

About shepherdlevan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.