Existing Member?

Sucking Oranges in the Sun

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [242] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

There was no real telling how old the ‘laibon’ (Maasai medicine man) was. His skin was stretched taut over his face and his head clean shaven as befitting his elder status. His eyes were misted but when he looked at me I got the feeling his deteriorating sight didn’t mean he couldn’t see. I had found Ol’Lenana the spiritual leader of the ‘Kaputei’ clan of the Tanzanian Maasai after a month’s hard search. I had come to talk about the threats the Maasai way of life faced from ‘progress’.

Sitting on the hard earthen floor of his hut, sipping soured milk, I told Ol’Lenana snippets of my quest to find him. How I met many drunk Maasai, who seemed to value beer above God and cattle. How others had posed as laibon in search of cash. How finally at the end of what seemed to be another fruitless dust-choked day on the savannah, I spotted the light of distant campfires and drew up at his village in the middle of a National Geographic style song-and-dance. I watched as the moonlight outlined leaping warriors, bodies shining with sweat and grease, as they displayed like birds, the occasional mobile phone jiggling next to a sheathed knife, plastic flowers bobbing in their headdresses.

Ol’Lenana responded by telling me to stay for the ‘Eunoto’ a coming of age ceremony that would shed light on my question.

The next morning in the soft transitory light of dawn I watched as warriors filed into the main ‘kraal.’ Their naked bodies had been decorated with chalk patterns, their long hair dyed using red ochre. As I watched, mothers shaved off their sons’ long locks, and the men wept, mourning the end of an era.

Ol’Lenana explained, just as the Eunoto marked a passage through a man’s life, customs the Maasai had practiced for centuries were undergoing transformation. As he spoke I watched a line of blood trail down a warrior’s shaved head. An omen?  Ol’ Lenana’s voice penetrated my thoughts, “even the ostrich with its long neck and sharp eyes cannot see what will happen in the future.”

 

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

Comments

1

I love this story!! So evocative it makes me want to go there - the eunoto ceremony is a rare thing to be able to see - beyond the traditional maasai viewings. Very inspiring

  sunderam Apr 21, 2012 8:06 PM

About sheenacarey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.