Existing Member?

A gem in the Chinese countryside!

Yangshuo

CHINA | Tuesday, 19 May 2015 | Views [89] | Scholarship Entry

If you are traveling around China, head to Guilin! Try an overnight train for a real experience!
Although Guilin is a hotspot in China, it is definitely only the entry point to the much more beautiful and eclectic place of Yangshuo. You can simply walk around the town which is surrounded by mountains and find sweet treasures at the multitude of markets to be found.
When the sun is shining throw on some sunscreen and rent a bike for an adventure to moon hill, which is only about a 20 minute climb and worth every step with its stunning view!
Afterwards stop at the Gold Water caves to enjoy the beauty underneath and a dip in the mud baths.
Don’t forget to enjoy a relaxing moment in the hot springs to clean up after playing in the mud. Jump back on your bike and stop off at one of the numerous mango shops to treat yourself to a well-deserved mango smoothie!
Another sunny day? Why not rent a bike once again and get yourself lost in the mountains! Not really lost, but off the beaten track a little never hurts. This is a fantastic way to enjoy the overwhelmingly beautiful views this place has to offer and to catch a glimpse of true China countryside. This is one of the best ways to explore any land you travel to, so don’t be afraid, bring a map and your sense of adventure and go!
You can finish your day of with a calm bamboo raft along the Yulong River. This is an excellent way for you to get a look at the views you might have missed while riding.
Once you have had your fill, grab a half hour bus to a small town called Xingping.
It’s not as “happening”, but it has much natural beauty to offer. You can climb Laozhai hill, which is right around the corner from a great little hostel called “This Old Place International Youth Hostel,” and offers up fantastic views of the karst mountains that this area is so famous for.
You can also take a short 10 minute walk to the viewing point of the mountains found on the 20 RMB note.
Another fun activity to do in Xingping is renting a bike and again “getting lost” to enjoy the countryside!
Another recommended activity is taking a hike to the old fishing village. This village was established during the Ming Dynasty in 1506 and has been around ever since. Be careful about the directions or you might end up hiking in the actual bushes! If this happens, have no fear, the bushes come to an end and you are rewarded with a stunning view of the mountains and the Li River.
What are you waiting for? Time to go to Yangshuo and Xingping!!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About sheartravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.