Existing Member?

Shealins Travel Blog

First night in Melbourne

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 10 May 2010 | Views [252] | Comments [3]

First day in Melbourne after 24 hours of customs, long ass numbing plane rides, and free wine of which I took full advantage of. I walk out of the airport to the beautuful scent of humid air. For the first moment I felt as though I had just taken a short trip to Vancouver but soon after the feeling faded to me realizing I was definitely not on the same continent as I was then greeted by two grinning men with thick Aussie accents who seemed to find the sight of me very amusing. I figured they must have noticed me walking into the mens washroom, as I had done earlier since apparently signs don't faze me when I'm on the other end of the world, despite the fact that the rules haven't changed. I don't doubt that they saw but I also knew that whatever service they were there to provide they weren't going to make it easy and they didn't. After a few minutes of me asking one of them questions about where to catch the bus into the Melbourne city centre and him then responding with answers like "Oh I really don't know where that is" or "No this bus will not take you to Southern cross station" followed by back and forth sneering glances to his friend he finally then decided to tell me what I needed to know.

The rest of my first day in Melbourne was fun filled with site seeing by day and Bar hopping by night, in an amazing area just a few train stops from the Melbourne city centre, called Chapel Street. This was all thanks to Megan Lane who was nice enough to greet me at the Southern Cross train station at 9:00 in the morning then insisted on carrying my enormous bag to her apartment.  Megan being the amazing host that she is made my first day in Melbourne very enjoyable and easy to forget that I had just spend the last 23 hours with hardly any sleep. It wasn't until the next morning that the jet leg plus hangover and sleep deprivation really hit me and I felt as if I had been run over by a car.

For anyone who loves the art/fashon lifestyle, with graffiti covered Victorian style buildings full of thrifty stores and vintage boutiques, you will love Melbourne. If you're not much for shopping but like a night on the town then you will be sure to find places such as "Electric Lady Land" and "Blue Bar" fun and interesting because I certainly did. For those who really want to take a night out on the town to a whole new level, apparently there is a bar that is open 24/7 called Revolver but I have yet to have that experience and will be sure to share it once I do.

Comments

1

i'm glad to hear you arrived safe and enjoyed ur first day! we all missu here and hopefully u have meet up with calla and ali! excited to hear more, ps very well written!

  manny May 15, 2010 3:33 AM

2

I am so happy for you Shea! Keep posting so I can travel with you in spirit. Be safe and have a great time. Love and miss you!

  Megan Beaton May 15, 2010 8:19 AM

3

Thanks Guys! =)

  shea May 16, 2010 9:59 PM

About shea


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.