Existing Member?

The Beginning of the Journey

Pella, Iowa's Tulip Time

USA | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [77] | Scholarship Entry

There's a town in Iowa named Pella, yes, where the windows come from. But it's actually a small Dutch-American town, with very strong Dutch roots. Even going on a regular day, you can see the Dutch background of the people who settled there so many years ago. There's a giant windmill, with a museum inside, several man-made, decorative canals, and a couple of bakeries on the main square with delicious Dutch pastries.

But every year, for the past 80 years, during the first weekend in May, they have held their 3 day Tulip Time festival. It, of course, showcases their beautiful tulips, but also shows off their Dutch heritage. Most of the community dresses in costume, and participates in different entertainment and competitions. There are several different folk dances, a cheese carrying race, singers, bands, craft booths, a parade, and, I can't forget, the Tulip Show, featuring a vast array of tulips. And so much more that, as an outsider visiting, will never know about. There is even a queen and her court selected from the high schools.

Along with all the sites to see, the entertainment, and the beautiful tulips, one of the best parts of the festival is the food. I love getting Dutch Ribbons, which are ribbons of potatoes deep fried like potato chips. You can season them yourself and they're so good. And all the pastries... even aside from the two bakeries I already mentioned (which have lines down the sidewalk during Tulip Time), there are food carts full of Dutch letters (S shaped cookies with almond paste inside), Poffertjes (mini Dutch pancakes), Dutch Pillows (cookies with custardy cream sandwiched in the middle), and, my mom's favorite, Stroopwafels (waffle like cookies with caramel sandwiched in the middle). So much goodness to eat, and even better to take home to extend the experience for the next few days.

A lot of towns do festivals of some sort. My dad's hometown even does an Oktoberfest every year, although it lacks in authenticity. But Pella's Tulip Time is special. It seems like all of the citizens get excited and enjoy participating in some way. My mom and I have gone the past three years, and it's something I've looked forward to since that first time. I can't wait to go next year.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About shawna


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.