Existing Member?

Community is Everything Get out there and explore the world - it's yours to discover.

Playing cards with the Ugandan Police

UGANDA | Tuesday, 8 November 2011 | Views [551]

Okay, in essence, they watched while my daughter and I played last card while they sussed it out. We were on our way to Gulu, in Northern Uganda to check out water projects our donors had given to as well as some speaking appointments. Two hours into the 5 hour trip our car was making the most horrendous noise. It sounded like every piece of metal was falling out of the motor. Eventually our driver, Edward pulled over to find a mechanic. Good luck in the middle of nowhere! 2 hours later we were still waiting. I insisted on trying to get a hitch on one of the many buses going up North. One thing I've learned about East Africa is that there is no such thing as time keeping. The Africans have time and the Muzungu's have the watches. Trying not to stress out about making it to speak to the Rotary meeting that night, we sat down under the only tree available with the police who were busy doing - well, not too much really. We found out they could speak Swahili so it was good practice for us at least. Another 2 hours later we managed to jump on a crowded bus, with complimentary chickens on board. Our bags were still with Edward as he waited for another day to get the car fixed. Yep, we made it to the Rotary meeting and even to our guest house, but man, I missed my toothbrush until it arrived the next lunchtime. After 25 years of war, Northern Uganda is rebuilding at a remarkable rate. We met a bunch of kids who were at school on a Saturday, you wouldn't find that in Sydney!

Tags: africa, transport, uganda

About sharoncrean


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.