Existing Member?

Travel

USA Southwest

USA | Thursday, 7 April 2011 | Views [411]

High above Greenland

High above Greenland

Fri., 1st April

The longest April Fool’s Day so far! Jessica drove us to the airport and checked in for the flight LX038 1:15 pm to SFO. The aircraft was an Airbus A340 with 2-4-2 seatings. Unfortunately, the seats are pretty small with no foot rest and the gangways are quite narrow as we noticed when pulling our luggage along the way, which kept on hitting the side of the seats. Later, during the flights anyone passing through the aisle would not do so without missing my left shoulders. This disturbed or woke me up every few minutes.

Quality of food was okay, nothing special. Unfortunately for a transatlantic flight the meals were quite meagre which left me hungry quite frequently, i.e. 1 lunch, 1 snack of sandwich and 1 snack of small pizza.  Nothing comparable to Singapore Airlines or Malaysia Airlines.

The flight itself was pretty smooth though we had a couple of turbulence flying over North Atlantic. We passed over Ireland, Iceland and later Greenland, over which we saw wonderful landscape of mountains of ice and snow, lakes and icebergs. We flew further over Baffinland, Hudson Bay onto mainland Canada, passing over Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary and the Rockies into the US. Landed at 2:30 pm at SFO ...........on April 1.......not 2 hours 15 minutes after we left Zurich, but 11 ½  hours or so .

No hassle at all at the immigrations and the customs. All went through smoothly. Took the Supershuttle shared van (pre-booked via internet at USD 17.00 per person) to downtown SF. Finally checked in at Queen Anne Hotel, Sutter Street / Octavia, around 5:30 p.m.

Went for a stroll in Japan Town, which is about 3 or blocks away. We had dinner at one of the many Japanese restaurants in the neighbourhood. Got back to hotel and went to bed pretty early.

Sat., 2nd April

Woke up very early around 4 am  – biological time confusion, as it was already 1 pm CET. Made coffee , read and surfed on the wifi. As agreed met Abang G at 7:30 at the hotel  lobby and had simple breakfast with him. Later he showed us around of the hotel backoffice. Outside, the weather was cloudy, but dry.

Abang G drove us to visit his retirement home at Rossmoor, Walnut Creek, about 25 miles to the northeast of San Francisco. The place is quite an affluent region of California. He showed us around the settlement and it related amenities. Visited the community flea market and saw the community projects involved, i.e. totem pole project headed by Abang G. No doubt, it’s a nice place to live in.

Finally visited his own home and got to know his partner Arlin.  After spending a while at their home, Arlin drove us to Muir Woods. On the way we had lunch at a Mexican restaurant. A meal of salad and steak  in taco shell. Muir Woods is an oasis of tranquillity just outside SF. Full of huge redwoods with lots of hiking paths. Pretty streams flow through the park. Abang G paid the entrance USD 5.—per person.

The weather started to get better and better. Apparently it was raining quite a lot for the past couple of weeks. We later continued our journey to Sausalito, perhaps the bohemian quarter of SF. Saw many art galleries while strolling through the streets.  Stopped at one of the cafés. 

Drove to the Golden Gate north shore and had a wonderful view of the bridge on a wonderful clear day. Considering it was a Saturday, we were lucky to find a parking space on the road side. Continued on, crossing the bridge, the toll costs USD 6.00, to downtown SF. They were eager to show us the most crooked street, Lombard Street. So, we drove up the very steep hill and down  along the street.

We moved on to see Coit Tower, which has a lot of wonderful wall murals painted by the artists during the Depressions of the 30’s. It has a pretty park and many wonderful views over the city.

Just before sundown we drove through Castro, the capital of the gay republic, and further on to the Twin Peaks. It was a pretty windy place high up above the city. From the vantage point, it was a fantastic view of the city just about to light up.

Had dinner at a downtown diner called Lucky Penny.  Initially we thought it was a casino, but this is California, there‘s none around. Pretty big portions we got. One portion is enough for both of us to share.  

Sun., 3rd April

Checked out pretty early. Hotel bill was for USD 99.00 per night – pretty cheap, as we got a reduced rate from Abang G. Actual rate is above USD 230 or so. Left our luggage at the hotel and walked down to Van Ness Street and took bus 47 to North Point near the piers. Costed us USD 2.00 per person.

Took a walk around the Fisherman’s Wharf. Had breakfast at Bistro Boudin, of eggs scramble and French toasts plus fruit juice. Strolled further along Jefferson Street towards Ghirardelli Square, stopping along the way, browsing at the clothing shops along the way.

We had wanted to take the Powell Line cable car from thereon, but the queue of people looked discouragingly long. So, we walked up the very steep hill to Lombard Street and hopped on the cable car there and rode to Union Square.

After staying a while at the square, we searched for Alamo Car Rental office nearby to enquire whether we could get the car without voucher as I had left this at the hotel and forgotten to bring it along. As the response was negative, we took the number 2 bus from Sutter Street / Mason back to the hotel.

 After getting our luggage, got on a cab back to Alamo office on Bush Street/ Mason.  Costs us USD 6.00 but the driver was perplexed when Brigitte gave him USD 9.00 – a fantastic 50% tipping! Presented the voucher to the Alamo and the guy at the counter naturally tried to sell us a bigger car than the one we pre-booked and pre-paid, arguing that we needed a car with bigger trunk and higher capacity. He also tried to sell additional insurance. This is America .......... they tried to do business and earn anything from you! After all, everyone is trying to improve their daily income, desperately during this hard time.

Finally, drove out of SF at around 4:30 pm arriving 2 hours later at Margrit’s place in Folsom. We arrived there on a warm sunny afernoon. Chatted with her and later joined by Patrick and Angela (his girlfriend).  We joined them for dinner of chicken soup with noodles.  We exchange stories on familiar matter into the night.  Finally went to bed at around 11.00 pm or so.

 

 Mon., 4th April

Didn’t sleep well the night before and woke up with backache. The bed was too soft for my weight. I practically sank in the GI spring bed and woke up with a crooked back.

After breakfast at Margrit’s place, went down for a walk along the American River near Folsom Old Town. The day was wonderfully sunny. We crossed the river on Folsom Truss Bridge, running parallel to the Rainbow Bridge. Later we had lunch at one of the La Bou’s diner in Folsom.

We drove down to Sacramento.  Parked somewhere near Crocker Museum. What a shame the museum is closed on Mondays. So, we went down to the Old Sacremento – the old part of town.  It still has a lot of the charms of western town, complete with an old school building, a Wells Fargo office, an old railroad station and the old Delta King riverboat on the Sacremento River. We strolled along the main road, doing some souvenirs shopping. Later  Brigitte & Margrit had a treat of ice cream at the old railroad station. Towards the evening we drove back to Folsom. Stopped at the Outlets centre as Brigitte was looking for a windbreaker. Didn’t find anything suitable for her. Instead, I found a shirt at Tommy Hilfinger – pretty cheap at USD 25.00.

Went to pick up Patrick and had dinner at Nugget supermarket, somewhere near Eldorado Hills. Dinner is a multitude of choices of self-helped food from the supermarket. Naturally, we had too much of everything. As the place has wi-fi, we managed to exchange our Facebook invitations and acceptances.

Tue., 5th April

It  was a kind of a rest day. No fixed plan. But in the end, it turned up as a shopping day!

After late breakfast we went down to Target departmental store. Brigitte bought jacket for USD 19.00 and I bought a Levi’s jeans for USD 20.00, plus an audio auxiliary input cable for USD 13.00. Moved on to the next shopping complex nearby.  I went to Borders bookstore while Brigitte & Margrit continued browsing clothing articles. She finally bought a t-shirt and a knitted jacket, USD 10.—and USD 29.-- respectively . I bought “The Ascent of Money – Niall Ferguson”. It appears that books are relatively expensive compared to clothes and foodstuff.

Had lunch at another La Bou and returned to Margrit’s place. Spent the rest of the afternoon not doing much, i.e. took a nap and started this diary.

Before joining Patrick and Tom for dinner, we stopped at a petrol station to refill our car’s tank for 8.23 gallons for USD 32.00, i.e. 1 gallon = 3.78 litres, making a price of USD 1.07 per litre. Pretty cheap compared to the price in Europe – especially during the Libyan crisis. Had dinner of American style hamburgers at Brewer, a pub style restaurant. Yet again, mammoth portions was duly served.

Wed. 6th April

After breakfast of homemade waffle pan cake, bid a sad goodbye to Margrit. Started our jouney  towards South Lake Tahoe at 10.00 am, stopping at several places of along the way and taking photos of the beautiful landscapes of the High Sierra. Finally reaching South Lake Tahoe at around 12:00 midday. Detoured to a sports clothing “factory outlet” centre. Brigitte bought a pair of training suit at Adidas. We lunched at a nearby Thai restaurant for a set menu of USD 6.85 per person. Portion-wise was just right as well as the price.

Continued our journey along Lake Tahoe passing Stateline, Nevada and stopping at Zephyr Cove – on the lake shore.  The cove has many wonderful views of the lake. The shores are still partially snow-covered. Unfortunately, we couldn’t spend much time here as the wind was very strong and the chill factor was too high for us to bear too long.

Continued our journey to descending to Carson City, Nevada.  And drove through the town looking for accommodation possibilities. Finally, stopped at Carson Station and checked in the Best Western for USD 58.—w.bf.

Had - yet another big – dinner at S’B-ghetti . The starters looked as if it was meant to be for a table of four and the main dish was for two persons.  Though the food was okay, the cappuccino was horrible.

Booked a room at Best Western Plus Frontier at Lone Pine via Skype.

Normal 0 21 false false false DE-CH X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Thu., Apr. 7th

Despite of weather forecast of severe weather, no snowfall in Carson City – temperature just about 0 deg. C. Checked out at around 8:30 and went straight to Heidi Cafe, a pseudo Swiss diner, to have breakfast.  Shared a portion of the typical egg scramble treat and toast plus boiled potatoes.

Departed from Carson City towards Lone Pine at around 9:30 am and it began to snow lightly. We passed through wonderful somewhat arid mountainous landscapes. Somewhat covered with snow but nevertheless colourful.  The road led us through high valleys and plateaus, reaching as high as 2,500 m above sea level.  We saw Mono Lake in the somewhat foggy weather and we had to pass by the ghost town of Bodie as it was closed due wintry weather.

Reached the village of Bridgeport for a petrol refill at Shell. The price was horrendously high at USD 4.99 a gallon. Later we stopped at Bishop for a sandwich at the Mahogany Smokehouse and had coffee at Starbuck.

Continued our journey reaching Lone Pine at around 4:00 pm and checking in at Best Western Plus Frontier – room no. 119. Reserved a room for our next day stop at Furnace Creek Ranch in the Death Valley, costing us a whopping USD 195.00. So far the most expensive lodging we had in USA. Rested a while in our room before going downtown to have dinner at Seasons, supposed to be the best restaurant in town. We had a meal of steak.

About sharhan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.