Existing Member?

What shapes a destination?

The Subtle Nuances...

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [132] | Scholarship Entry

Like diamonds they twinkled, engulfing me in their entirety. As they called me to their concrete jungle, I felt more at peace amongst their buzz than I’d ever felt before. These city lights, though not the largest nor brightest in the world, were mine. They were reminiscent of New York, though funnily enough I’d never been, I’ve always felt I have – perhaps a product of the city’s extensive media exposure. Nonetheless, this city curbed my seemingly everlasting, unattainable hunger.

It’s easy to get lost in a big city, but somehow this was alluring. I’d never been lost before; a fresh eighteen year old straight out of the education conveyor belt, I’d never seen the world. Though not far from my home, I was alone, yet never felt more in touch. I knew what I was here for – to get my degree, but this city was so much more than that. You could smell opportunity from the meekest bakery, see it in the sparkling river and feel it in the air of the lane-ways amongst the Marx readers and soy-cappuccino drinkers. I loved how prospect was as rife within these back-street alleyways as it was embedded in windows of the various high-rises. It was cohesive, yet so disjointed.

It’s these mysterious elements that I enjoy most - the few places I’ve been to speak for this. Granted, the iconic symbols of a destination are often incredible; their grandeur is deserved and they attract tourists. But these icons are often the mere façade of a place, underpinned by the unknown cafés and underground bars that really form a city. Perhaps this is why I feel so at home whilst travelling; every destination has these drops of radiance in the wildest and strangest of places – the darkened alleyways full of sheer light. The momentous statues and buildings may differ, but the lively subtext is really the same, differed only by the infused leaves of culture.

But what I love most about a new place, is the people. After all, whilst the subtle nuances form a city, it’s the locals who speak of its charm. Dangerous, unknown, yet entirely enticing, these face-to-face encounters really shape a place.

Like diamonds they twinkled, illuminating my path. I know what I’m here for and I know what I want. These lights are addictive and I’m hungrier than ever to see them all. Fuelled by curiosity and the luminous darkness, I’m ready to start. My gypsy-blood is bubbling with chance and I’ve never been more excited.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About shannonsazevski


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.