Existing Member?

Life As A Nomad

Preflight Jitters

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 18 January 2014 | Views [276] | Comments [1]

As promised, I have created a blog to track my adventures and mischievous behaviors while abroad. I was about to write that I wished I had done this while in Ireland, but let’s face it, 85% of the things I did there aren't really appropriate for family or children under the age of eighteen.

Today is my last day of work, which I am sad and also very happy about. The truth is I really didn't think that I was going to be able to pull this off. Every passing day from the moment I moved back to New York was filled with doubt that I could actually make enough money to buy my plane ticket before prices sky rocketed and my hopes and dreams plummeted. But with a lot of hard work and a bit of self-made luck, here I am....Casually unprepared, not packed, and oh so ready. You see, this is what I live for. I live for these preflight jitters, for the anxiety and adrenaline pumping through my chest that I feel like it might explode at any second. I love this feeling. The feeling that I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen. I've tried tirelessly to picture it, to picture myself hiking the Stairway to Heaven in Hawai'i, or having a pint at the airport in Sydney, or jumping out of an airplane overlooking Queenstown, New Zealand. But I can't. I just can't see it, the same way I couldn't see myself going to college in Ireland. And I am so happy about this. I am so happy that I can't picture it, that all it comes down to is living in that moment when it’s happening and nothing else. To me, that is what life is all about. Time is fleeting, every second is passing, life is short, all that good stuff. Veni Vini Vici. Seize the Day. Carpe Diam. Four sleeps. That’s all it is, four sleeps, until life as we know it changes. And I just can’t wait.

 

 

Comments

1

when are you leaving what is your first stop?

  NancyO'NeillFort Jan 18, 2014 8:26 AM

About shannonmichele


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.