Existing Member?

a little adrift My RTW journey as I travel for a year, take a break, and then head out for another 6 months or so...when it will stop I'll never know!

Travel Horror Day

CROATIA | Wednesday, 15 July 2009 | Views [787]

Our 24 hours of travel day hell started when we left the small town of Assisi with a steep uphill climb to the bus station. The bus ride was easy and just a 25 min ride to the train station.

Small town of Assisi, Italy
Another easy ride and the train took us from Assisi to the coast of Italy, Ancona so that we could catch our ferry to Split, Croatia. We got a little relaxed at this point because we had hours to spare, so we headed to the internet cafe for a bit, got some dinner, and hung out. Then we figured, gee how hard can it be to get to the docks?!


Well, the local bus dropped us off at the ticket station for the ferries...and we didn't know that the docks were another 10 minutes away!


Again, thinking we had a bit of time we hang out and rest, only to discover that you have to catch a cab to the docks. Fast forward ten minutes and we are crammed into the back of a cab speeding to the docks praying that we make it before the ferry pulls out.


As if that weren't enough - as we were boarding the ferry we were bum-rushed by a gaggle of older Slavik women pushing for a better place in the line. They literally shoved us out of the way and made a mad dash for the small section of airline seats.

We fought these women for seats as they used purses and bags to protect their "extra" seats until finally a steward rescued and showed us a hidden area of airline seats! We had a rough sleep on the floor, but at least we had some room!

That wasn't the end though. We had to disembark from the ferry and run to the ticket office to catch the next ferry that would take us out of Split and onto the small island of Brac. We almost got hosed my some hustlers on a cab ride to the small town of Milna, but found the local bus for a few bucks instead.


When we arrived at the gates of our cottage 25 hours later we were EXHAUSTED!!


Tags: bus, ferry, horror story, on the road, stress, train, transportation

 

About shannon_rtw


Follow Me

Where I've been

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.