Existing Member?

2014 Europe~as told as a Brooklyn Freshman

A dream come true

USA | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [80] | Scholarship Entry

I was 6 years old when my parents woke me up in the middle of the night and said," Shannen, what would it be like if you were on an island in 6 hours?" I responded, "It would be nice to get away from all this snow in New York", and smiled. We landed in Turks and Caicos on December 16th, 2006. As soon as I got there, my father took me on the beach. As I was drinking my milkshake, he told me to look into the air. 3 seagulls flew above me, and I told him, "Papa, I wish I could fly, like a bird." He acknowledged, "I can make that happen baby." 2 days later, he woke me up before the sun rose. "Come on the beach with me", he whispered. I followed him through the tamarind trees until I reached the white sand. I stood on the dock with my father and watched the sun slowly come up the horizon. "Whats this about ,Papa?" "Your dream will come true today, honey", he replied. A boat approached the dock. I hopped on as they placed a life jacket on my father and I. Then, they attached a harness. I was confused and scared, but my father reassured me that everything was okay. They released us off the boat, and I saw the big, blue parachute open up in back of me. I spotted my mother and little brother waving at me. " Papa, Im flying!" I squealed with joy. " I told you I would make your dream come true". I looked down and saw the crystal blue waters, and the colorful schools of fish that swam below. 8 years later and I can still smell the fresh, crispy scent of the ocean, and see the people, miniature like ants while i was 50 feet , propelled in the air.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About shannenkogos


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.