Existing Member?

Shane's Trip Journal

April 8-11: Doi Suthep, Elephants, Trekking, Markets

THAILAND | Monday, 11 April 2011 | Views [603] | Comments [4]

The last few days have been some fun activities. I visited Doi Suthep temple and was told that if you come to Chiang Mai and do not visit Doi Suthep you really have not visited Chiang Mai. On the way to Doi Suthep we stopped at a village and got to see some flower gardens. In the garden was some poppy that represented how the villagers made their income in the past but now sell things to the tourist as well as grow fruits and vegetables. I went on a full day trekking activity that included hill-tribe visit, bamboo rafting, elephant riding, and swimming at a waterfall. There has been a Saturday and Sunday market that is apparently every week. They shut down the roads in a certain area and local people set up on the sidewalks to sell their goods. There are some nice things at the markets but I do not want to carry anything else around with me while I travel so I have just enjoyed looking. I am not sure if I have mentioned about the dogs in Thailand. There are dogs everywhere. Many appear to be stray, just wondering around on the streets and elsewhere. You get to the point of not noticing them, but a couple of days ago I was passing a pack of dogs and one of them waited until I was just passed before it bit me on the back of the leg. I was walking around a street vendor when it happened and the man behind the cart apparently saw what was happening and yelled at the dogs to go away. Luckily, I had pants on and it barely broke the skin without tearing my pants so I am not too worried about rabies. So far the injury list is: twisted ankle, sun burn, mosquito bits, leaches, various cuts and bruises on my feet and back from the river, some kind of infection in my lungs (I think it was Bronchitis so I self medicated), and a dog bite. Here you don't have to go to the doctor to get a prescription, you can go into the pharmacy and explain your symptoms and they will sell you what you want. I have lost about 20 lbs as of last week when I used a scale in the pharmacy. I only have one belt loop left before I have to buy a new belt. I have not had any tobacco in about 4 days so I am gaining back some of the weight that I lost. My diet for the most part has been vegetarian, Pad Thai with vegetables and eggs as well as fresh fruits, water, and fruit juices. Although I have slipped on the good diet over the last couple of days because there is a coffee shop next to the place where I am staying that has some great desserts. Tomorrow I take the day-train (12 hours) back to Bangkok. I stay one night in Bangkok and then take a bus the next morning to Cambodia. I will be staying in Siam Reap, Cambodia for a couple of days and touring Angkor Wat. After that it is back to Bangkok where I will decide which direction to head. I was told before I came that Bangkok was a international hub of bargain flights. I hope to find a cheap flight to Nepal but I am not sure they will be cheap enough to fit in the budget.     

Comments

1

Just amazing! What cool experiences. Thank you so much for updating your journal so much. I can't wait to hear about Angkor Wat - maybe you'll see Lara Croft there!

love ya....tish

  tish Apr 11, 2011 11:12 PM

2

Good to hear from ya! I need to lose about 20 lbs myself but I'm not sure that I want to go that route...lol. Keep us posted!

  Terry Apr 12, 2011 1:24 AM

3

Shane,
It is always fun (also comforting to a mom) to hear from you. The pictures with you in them make it real that you are there. Otherwise the journal would seem like a Discovery Special.
The flowers are beautiful. We are planting and getting ready for Easter here in Oklahoma. I like poppys also. Here they bloom early and are gone. Can our poppys produce opium or are they different? Was the river as deep as it looked when you were on the elephant? The rice fields were beautiful also. Was the rice ready to harvest? Did you eat any of those bugs? Very,very interesting! Thank you so much for shareing.
Luv ya! Mom

  Mimi Apr 14, 2011 12:54 PM

4

Oh man, I think I could handle everything but the LEACHES!!!! Sounds like you're having an awesome time. Great updates. Cant wait to hear more. Be safe!

  Armando Apr 19, 2011 7:09 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.