Existing Member?

Ray & Deb's Travels We're on a home exchange to Southern France.

Sept 9: A Sunday to remember in Toulon

FRANCE | Saturday, 15 September 2012 | Views [125]

The girls had breakfast for us on the terrace - typical French breakfast - coffee with hot milk, fresh bagette, butter and jam.  Very yummy.

Then we head off to Toulon across the Bay.  We walk down to catch the ferry and then walk around Toulon - they have a Sunday AM market, but much bigger.  Wandered around center of Toulon for a bit.  Toulon and St. Mandrier are the center of French Navy training - schools and such for their navy seals, aircraft training etc.  So lots of young cute french sailors about ;-). 

Back home, I had read about a special hike along the beaches and small beach towns of Toulon and a lovely restaurant (yes it's all about the food isn't it?) along that hike.  The girls had done the hike but never eaten at the cafe so we convinced them our treat if they come with us.  So our day was planned.

Bus to the top of the hill and walk down to the restaurant Cafe Bernard, and then an all afternoon hike/walk back to the Ferry. 

Had a lovely lunch, crisp rose wine, fresh fish and salads.  Then we started out.  Just a beautiful day again, so spirits were high...but then afer a couple of hours walking we discover the path along the rocks disappears - it was washed out.  So much to Christine's embarassment (she was our navigator) we had to double back and climb back up to the road and then down to the water again about a mile out of our way.  We didn't care it was such a great day and while it was a longer hike than anyone anticipated - we had a great time.  Teased Christine that she was making us do a "boot camp" training.  Christine works as a contractor for the Navy in Toulon. We laughed, joked with each other and had a really nice but long day. 

Came back to their cottage and Anne-Laure made a wonderful quiche lorraine and I volunteered to make the salad.  Tired but happy we shared our last dinner together - as we leave tomorrow morning.

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.