Existing Member?

Let the waters part

So far so good for the people of Bangkok....

USA | Monday, 17 October 2011 | Views [258] | Comments [1]

I've been watching the news with apprehension this weekend, hoping that the flood waters that have inundated large swaths of northern Thailand will be kept outside of Bangkok. I hope this for the people who live there and the people who want to visit; more precisely me. Thus far the city of Bangkok has been spared and 13 million people have escaped the flood waters that have flowed from the heavy monsoon clouds over the mountains, through the streets of Chiang Mai,to the temples of Ayutthaya,and into the now swollen Chao Phraya river.

It is clear that in their efforts to stop utter devastation of an unimaginable scope, that failure was rejected as an option by the Thais, whose piling-up of sandbags and shoring-up of embankments seems like an epic feat. After such a valiant show of determination by the Bangkokians to keep their city dry, it just seems wrong to think about canceling a trip to their town that's been scheduled for a while. I'm embarrassed for having even entertained such thoughts earlier in the week and shame on you if you fostered such reservations!----That's it, I'm going!

Comments

1

Stay high and dry my friend. Go to Thailand but stay away from the water. More likely to get food poison, dysentery, either from the water, food or whatever. And if you did get sick, the hospitals are already overcrowded and you don't speak Thai. Thailand is special because of their hospitality, but nobody will be hospitable when they are simply trying to stay alive. Goto Phuket Island, Koh Phi Phi, or Krabi where it's safe. Or even Pattaya/Jomtien area by the ocean. Plenty of funs to be had there and you'll get to experience the best of what Thailand has to offer.

  Christina's Asian Friend from Hygiene school Oct 18, 2011 12:03 PM

About sfrunnnnr


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.