Existing Member?

Time Travel

Love in the Time of Cholera

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

The year is 1533. The infinite sheet of blue which enveloped the line of 10 ships slowly diminishes as the 5,000 mile journey came to an end. In the distance, the recently founded city of Cartagena slowly emerges. The colonization of the Americas is in full force and Cartagena will become a symbol of the grandeur of the Spanish empire. Cartagena will be the battleground of European powers fighting for control of the New World. To protect this strategic site, a system of defensive mechanisms would swiftly be built, among them, the ‘Castillo San Felipe’. Time-out. It is not 1533. It is 2015. I am, however, at the Castillo San Felipe, 482 years later, in modern day Colombia. This monster fortress sits on a 150 foot hill towering over the city. Descending into the archaic passageways transports me back to the era of discovery and conquering. Its narrow corridors are dark and scorching hot. As I creep by the eerie cells, I only envision the incarcerated slaves, pirates, and enemies. Cannons that once fired and sabotaged vessels are still present throughout the underground maze. The feeling is so real that I can vividly feel the loud explosions and faint smell of gunpowder. This causes me to jolt back to reality. As I reemerge from the fortresses interior, I make my way to its summit. Once I reach the top, I am rewarded with views of bustling Cartagena and a panorama of the Atlantic. I see ships in the distance. Not the ships of the past carrying gold, silver or tobacco, but cruise ships introducing tourists to the enchantment of Cartagena. Perched at the top of the fortress is an enormous Colombian flag waving strongly. As a Colombian, my heart beats with every sway of the flag with dignity for my country, for the progress it has made since the turbulence of the 20th century. It is now a successful symbol of change.The walk down uncovers the seven mile wall which still encloses the Old City of Cartagena. This jewel of a neighborhood is a testament to the city’s colonial days possessing cobbled stoned streets, pastel colors and regal wooden balconies. One can enjoy the welcoming smiles of Colombians, the decadent aroma of coffee and the sound of carnival beats. By navigating these streets, it is easy to see where Gabriel Garcia Marquez found his inspiration for his masterpiece ‘Love in the Time of Cholera’.There is one certainty of visiting Cartagena: time travel is possible. Cartagena proves to be the epitome of any existence of magic and reality colliding.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About serranof


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.